Saturday, 19 January 2013

Feeling Blue

Why am I feeling blue? Because I'm stuck indoors with - of all things - whooping cough? Or because I appear to have lost my car under a mountain of snow?


No, because my first attempt at a card for this week's challenge at CAS-ology was such a complete and utter disaster that I'm not even going to share it as one of my where-I-went-wrong photos. When I read that this week's cue card is BLUE I immediately thought "Oriental!". I'm a big fan of the Willow Pattern. I have been ever since I was a small child and my parents had a beautiful dimensional Willow Pattern plate hanging above the fireplace. So I stamped an oriental scene in outline on one corner of my card. It looked stark, so I watercoloured it in shades of blue. Now the corner looked too heavy so I thought I'd balance it with an Oriental corner design diagonally opposite. And it ended up looking a complete and utter mess! I don't know if  I'll even be able to salvage the elements to use in a future design, but I'm going to give it a darn good  try.

So I had a browse through Pinterest for inspiration and came across this beautiful card  and thought something similar would lend itself well to the lovely Stampin' Up Just believe stamp set. However by the time I'd stamped the large image from the set a couple of times complete with shadows, the result was really too cluttered to be clean and simple, although I liked it and set it aside to use later.

So I tried again, this time without the shadows and using the large image just once, flanked by the smaller one each side. Result! At last I had something that I was happy with. At this point, I thought it would look good as a panel on a DL card,and that would also fit in with this week's theme at CAS-ual Fridays which is  CFC86 "Long and Short"

Once I'd mounted the panel on the card though, it looked rather unbalanced. Once again I felt it needed something in the diagonally opposite corner, but I wanted to avoid the disaster of my first attempt. What it really needed was a few dark blue pearls - but I only had cream ones. Then I remembered the peel-off  pens which I'd bought in about 535 BC and hardly used since. Miraculously, they hadn't dried out and they coloured the pearls perfectly so at last I had a card that i was happy with - even though it bears no resemblance to my original inspiration.


So I'm submitting this card into two challenges:

CAS-ology Week 27 Blue
CASual Fridays CFC86 Long and Short

As for the piece of stamping that came out too cluttered, I rescued the stamped panel and made a card from it - I'm not putting it into any challenges but I thought I'd share it




9 comments:

  1. Wow, I think they are both lovely. I haven't ever made any cards or done any stamping but I definitely like this...something to think about and keep my eye out for some pretty stamps.
    Oh and whooping cough? Really? Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all have days like that, but I'm so glad that you persevered your card is fabulous and the card with the rescued image is pretty as well.
    I hope you soon feel better and that you rescue your car, I'm sure it's quite warm under it's blanket of snow.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of your cards are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has days like that! Your card is stunning - I love the bold blue on the lighter background, and I've never even heard of peel off pens (of course I wasn't around in 535 BC, I must be MUCH younger than you are! lol!), but the result is beautiful! Thanks so much for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you started out with one idea and ended up with a totally different idea for your card AND you made it work! Bravo! Excellent card! Thanks for joining in on the fun at CASology this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your card is so lovely!! a wonderful take on both challenges! thanks so much for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, I'm smiling at this post...wow, what a process! I have totally been there, done that! (Glad I'm not alone!) I love your cards (both!) and think you nailed it with the blue pearsl. Perfect addition! Thanks for playing along at CASology this week...hope you feel better and can dig out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty lovely creation. Love the blue too.

    Sudha
    sudha-kalra.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane - both of these cards turned out wonderfully! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to "rescue" parts of failed projects to use on others! Thank you so much for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete