Monday 13 May 2019

Flower crazy!

Do you remember your first encounter with heat embossing? I clearly recall seeing it done at a craft show when I first started stamping about 25 years ago. The way the flat stamping was transformed into a shiny, dimensional delight struck me as real, actual magic! And now, after having used the technique many thousands of times, I still feel a bit of magical joy every time I do it.


For this card, I coloured a piece of card randomly with brightly coloured distress inks and then used Versamark ink to stamp flowers and leaves  all over the card and heat embossed with clear powder. Then I used a cotton wool ball to apply black ink all over the card - using cotton wool instead of a sponge gave me the ability to rub really hard, which helps the embossed areas to resist the ink and "pop" out.  The stamps are from the set that came with the current issue of Creative Stamping. It's always useful to have a solid flower stamp!

Because the flower stamp I'd chosen had a ring around the centre that was left unstamped, doing this gave a black ring around the centre of each flower, which I didn't like, so I used the corner of a water based baby wipe to remove the ink from that area. It took out not just the black  but also the distress ink underneath it, leaving a white flower centre.

I backed the piece with pink card, then used some of the same pink to cut a sentiment, swiped it with Versamark ink and embossed it with clear powder.

I'm sharing this with

Stamping Sensations - in an English Country Garden 

A Place to Start - Showcase your favourite technique  (heat embossing)

Tales from the craft room - Floral Frenzy 

The Flower Challenge - Embossing, heat or dry 




7 comments:

Sherri Thacker said...

This is so pretty! I remember my first time heat embossing. I had embossing powder flying everywhere because I forgot to put the lid back on the powder and I was facing the heat gun RIGHT at the jar of powder too. LOL I was scared to try it again for the longest time but finally, was able to do it.. LOL

brenda said...

A very pretty floral creation and so striking in the dramatic colours, thanks so much for joining in with our 'In an English Country Garden' theme at Stamping Sensations challenge.

B x

Joan said...

Fabulous colours and a great technique. Like you I first saw embossing over twenty years ago and still love it now
Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month

Joan

Marlies said...

A lovely card. The flowers realy stand out against the dark background. Thanks for joining our challenge at Stamping Sensations. Marlies

Chana Malkah said...

Fabulous technique and you executed it perfectly! I will have to give the cotton balls a try...thanks for the tip! Beautiful work and we are happy that you decided to share it with us at A Place To Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner
A Place To Start Challenge Blog
613 Avenue Create Challenge Blog

Bobby said...

That resist technique makes such a bright and cheerful card, Jane. Thanks for sharing your card with us at The Flower Challenge.

Jo said...

It does feel like magic, doesn't it? Love your bright, beautiful & colourful card! Thanks for joining me over at Tales From The Craft Room
Jo x