Monday 28 November 2016

Getting hygge with it

OK, I know hygge doesn't rhyme with jiggy, at least I think I know - I've seen at least half a dozen suggestions as to how it's pronounced and every one of them sounds like somebody being violently sick. Which is maybe not the image that the word is supposed to conjure up - warmth and cosiness in a sort of rustic, old-fashioned way. Friends all over the world, has this trend from Denmark reached all of you yet, or was the newspaper I read last weekend right when they suggested rather cynically that one of the London publishing houses was looking for a new theme to use for the books-to-sell-to-people-who-don't-buy-books in the Christmas marketing frenzy and borrowed and adapted a few aspects of something that is inherent to Danish culture? I'm inclined to suspect the latter, because we don't really NEED to be told that flickering firelight and candles, hot drinks, woolly socks and cosy blankets are things that make us feel cosy and contented on a winter's evening!

Anyway, having got the rant out of my system, the current inspiration photo at Jingle Belles is just the kind of thing the myriad "How to make your Christmas more hygge" articles are littered with.


The white lettered word caught my eye, as it made me think of a little Studio G stamp  that I hardly ever use, not being much of a Valentine's day or generally romantic person. (Oooer, Blogger appears to have changed the style and size of my text mid-post - I can't see how it happened or how to change it back!)


I stamped and embossed it in white on kraft, to pick up the rustic feel of the picture (I seem to have gone back to normal text now!) then raided the snippets box for blue and silver mirri snippets for the die cuts. My plan had been to position the tree to the front right of the card, to echo the positioning of the tree in the photo, but when I spotted that its sloping sides were at exactly the same angle as the strokes of the V, it just had to go to that side instead. Some matching blue gems to balance it pick up the blue ornaments in the photo.

I am sharing this with
Jingle Belles - Photo inspiration
Allsorts - Anything Christmas
Pixie's Snippets Playground - week 257
CAS on Sunday - Christmas    
Christmas Card Challenges - anything goes
Make My Monday - CAS Christmas
 

12 comments:

Di said...

Great card Jane! I'm struggling with the letters N.O.E.L here and some snowflakes to make something similar. Having seen this, mine so ain't gonna happen - you cracked it!

And I'm also cynical about the current hygge 'thing'. I reckon we also cracked that particular nut many years ago! Have almost set the house on fire with candles more than once in my time! Got the giggles now - I remember being tucked into a cosy foot muff and couldn't extricate my feet and my ex-OH was doing the 'honk-shoo' impression in front of the TV - I therefore had to hop like a frog to the loo! Trust me, not easy to sort of bound when desperate for said loo! Sigh, is it any wonder I turned out so odd :(

Hugs

Di xx

Basslady said...

a very noble card!

thank you so much for playing along with us at make my Monday!

hugs and kisses from germany,
silvi xoxo

lauren bergold said...

i love the way you've used the elements in the pic, but totally made them work with your vibe and the supplies you had on hand! that's EXACTLY what photo inspiration is meant to be imo, and you nailed it! so pleased to have this in our JINGLE BELLES gallery, it's been such a pleasure to have you JINGLING along with us throughout 2016! <3 <3 <3

brenda said...

A super stylish creation for our Christmas theme at Allsorts this week, many thanks for joining in.


B x

Darnell said...

I beg your pardon, Jane, but I don't see where you have given me credit for the word hygge as one of my made-up words that I like to conjure up. Now you are telling me that Denmark, an entire country, has stolen it?! Why I never! How they got getting jiggy from it, I have no idea! I simply made it up to put form to the sound my grandson makes when he kicks and thrusts a killer stance in karate! Now, about your beautiful card, aren't you the clever little sausage for coming up with this genius take on the photo inspiration! If you're not a winner, there is no justice in the challenge world! Hugs, Darnell

Liz said...

Super card, Jane, great take on the challenge. I don't use kraft card often. I don't know why as it always looks good when I see projects made with it.

I have to confess that I've never heard the term 'hygge' before! xx

laurie said...

Awesome CAS card! I love kraft! Thanks for sharing at The Christmas Card Challenges..so happy you joined us!

SmilynStef said...

I was hoping someone would do a play on the word element of the photo ... and you executed fabulously ... thanks again for joining us at Jingle Belles in 2016 ... hope we see you again in 2017.

Rema DeLeeuw said...

Super! Love the CAS look. Thanks for playing along at Christmas Card Challenges.

Mummylade said...

Just popped by to say: Thank you so much for joining our challenge at Allsorts this week.

Cazro said...

Loving the use of Kraft, neat embossing. A great card. Thanks for joining in the fun at MMM. Caz DT.

Mandy LaCroix said...

Great CAS design! :) Thanks for sharing over at the Christmas Card Challenge!