Thursday 31 January 2019

Remembering Jessi

Many of you on the craft circuit will have known, or at least known of, Jessi Fogan who blogged at One Crafty Mama and sadly passed away at Christmas time.

Jessi was on the design teams  of Shopping our Stash and the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers, and it was on the latter that I got to know her and learn about the massive struggles with her health that she had to endure in the last couple of years of her life.

This week the team at SOS (many of whom are also on the SOSS team, the acronyms must get confusing!) have decided the challenge should be an Ode to Jessi  and have asked us to create a card inspired by some of her work.

Now, Jessi was already very ill when I got to know her, and her work at the time was very powerful, dark and artistic, reflecting the mental and physical pain she was suffering, so I was very surprised when I looked back over her blog and saw how bright and cheerful and most of all varied her work had been before her struggles began.

When I spotted this card I knew I had the perfect stash to do a complete, utter, total and unashamed CASE of it!

Here is my card - I kept the layout the same but because the patterns were smaller, I made the elements bigger IYSWIM. I think smallish elements teamed with big patterns look bold - with small patterns they can easily look mean.


and here is the card that inspired it


And why did I think this was so perfect for the challenge? Well, after all, Shopping our Stash is all about using up our stash, and I've used lots of snippets and offcuts from a couple of Craft Asylum Candy pads - a 12" one and a 6" one - that have been kicking around in my stash for years and years. And the pearls and gems are almost the last from a sheet I picked up at The Range about 5 years ago when I had a gift voucher and went crazy in the craft department.

I'm sharing this with Shopping Our Stash - Ode to Jessi

7 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Great card, Jane - a terrific CASE/Inspired by creation. I was similarly moved by my visit to Jessi's blog, Jo x

Liz said...

Super card, Jane and a great tribute to Jessi. xx

Dawn Phillips said...

Such a lovely idea to pay tribute to Jessi. This is a beautiful case. Love Dawn x

Barbara Godden said...

This card is perfect for Shopping Our Stash and better than that an awesome tribute to Jessi. (btw I too did an almost total case) Thanks for joining us at SOS for the Ode to Jessi.

Donna said...

Love it sistah!
A perfect ode to our friend and teammate, your card and your post xxoo
Thank you for joining the SHOPPING OUR STASH crew for our tribute to our friend and teammate Jessi!

Chris Dring said...

This is such a gorgeous case of Jessi's card! Love it! Thank you for joining in our celebration of our Sistah Jessi at Shopping Our Stash!

lauren bergold said...

this is an awesome "ode to jessi" and a fab card all round! i especially love that you used lots of stashy bits and bobs... makes it an even better tribute! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR STASH with us this week! ♥