Sunday 17 May 2020

Dragonflies and texture

It feels like far too long since a dragonfly has appeared on my blog, it's time to put that right!



I was having a rummage through my embossing powders and spotted this cream distress embossing powder that I've had for donkey's years and never opened because I wasn't sure what to so with it. So I thought, the best way to find out would be to actually play with it.

I  sponged clear embossing ink through a stencil I bought at the Farnborough show in February and still hadn't even opened the pack,  then added the embossing powder and heat-embossed. Once it is cooled, some of the powder can be brushed off to leave a textured effect a bit like coarse sandpaper. Variations in the colours of the powder add an even more distressed look to it.

The dragonflies are two NBUS dies from a Tonic Studios set I bought about a year ago. I really thought I would be using it all the time, but the main die from the set, a large strip of flowers and butterflies, has been used just once, the rest not at  all.  Anyway, I used snippets of white and cream card to cut them and Pinflair 3-D adhesive to assemble them. I also use Pinflair to attach them to the card as I feared the  rough texture of the embossing might make it as hard to stick anything to as glitter does.

I am sharing this with

Less is More - White and cream 


Pixie's Snippets Playground - Challenge 378 

CAS on Friday - Use a Die 

NBUS - challenge 14   - the dies, stencil and embossing powder were all NBUS




11 comments:

Crafting Queen said...

Lovely card and great texture.

Hazel (Didos) said...

This is lovely, really like the texture, Hazelxx

Mrs A. said...

You can see the gritty texture which reminds me of sand. It’s a lovely colour against the cream of the dragon fly. We have had one or two already hovering over the pond. Needless to say loads of butterflies. . Quite a few Meadow
Blues this year too. Hugs
Mrs A.

Liz said...

Lovely card, Jane. I've never thought to use embossing ink through a stencil - great idea. xx

Furrbster said...

Love the texture on this card!

Hugz Tinz

Neets B said...

Such great texture from the embossing powder, and looks great combined with this stencil design. The curved edges of the dragonflies add a nice contrast. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

Zw@@n said...

Beautiful card, Jan. Lovely design and dragonflies. Thank you for joining us at CAS on Friday. xx Wilma

Di said...

What a lovely effect the embossing has Jane - such a textural (is that a word?) card. As Mrs A says, it reminds me of sand. And the added drgonflies are gorgeous. You reminded me I have a NBUS dragonfly die, but I don't think it's as pretty as yours are. You do keep reminding me of things - carry on Number One!

Hugs

Di xx

Dawn Phillips said...

You can't resist a dragonfly Jane. Such a fabulous job with these ones. Love Dawn x

Andre M. said...

Exquisite CAS design!

Stampin with Liz Design said...

Such a fun card, love your background! Thanks for playing along at CAS on Fridau Challenges! Crafty hugs Linda