Sunday 31 May 2020

Golden Buddha

As many of you know, I lived in the Far East for some years and used to love visiting the temples there. Especially the ones off the tourist trail - there was one I loved despite it being at the top of several hundred (!) steps - it was always quiet and peaceful and of course never overrrun with coach parties as all those steps put people off! The temple cafĂ© was at the top of the steps, where you could enjoy the beancurd dish of the day and a pot of tea for a ridiculously  low price before strolling through the frangipani and oleander trees to admire the beautiful golden effigies and their surroundings.

Back in the hearts of the cities, temples  were usually packed with more tourists than worshippers, and I often wondered what those tranquil looking gods and Buddhas were thinking, looking benignly down on the jostling tourists shouting to each other in every language under the sun. Which is what inspired this card.


The Buddha, a stamp I picked up at a craft show a few years ago but can't remember which stand,  is stamped and heat embossed in black on gold mirri - when stamping and embossing on mirri, an antistatic pad and a stamping platform are your very best friends -  then carefully cut him out.

I used a sunray stencil and distress inks for the background. I chose shades of green to give an aura of peace, calm and tranquillity. And then I put the kibosh on all that calmness by adding a snarky sentiment that expresses what I reckon that Buddha is REALLY thinking.

I am sharing this with

Little Red Wagon - Line it up! 

Inkspirational - Funny Sentiments 



Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers - I is for inks 


Addicted to Stamps and More- Anything Goes  



13 comments:

Evelyn said...

This is exquisite.

Evelyn

Sue - said...

Love it Jane and the sentiment! Roy is very keen on Buddhas with the result we now have three in the garden!

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful card.

Marlena M. said...

hahahaha!!! Funny and unexpected. ;) Thank you for joining us with your witty card at INkspirational~

Kate said...

I love the humour in this card!! That sentiment is so "me" as well!! I enjoyed reading your story too. It sounds as though all those steps were worth the effort!

Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon this week!

Kate
Small Bits of Paper

Shauna said...

Ha! What a fun sentiment and I love how you used it in an unexpected way, paired with this image. Thanks for sharing at Inkspirational!
- Shauna

Lindsey said...

I did not know that thia Buddha and I had this in common! It does seem peaceful and calm, until of course you read the sentiment. Perfect bit of snark! Here's the part where I get to thank you for joining Addicted to Stamps and More and visiting your friends at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Helen said...

This is so beautiful Jane! So calm and serene! LOVE the snark with it! LOL!!! You rocked the ink challenge for SOSS!!! ((HUGS)) Helen

Pia S said...

So original! Loving the gold and shine of sunrays and Mirri card, and a fun and fitting sentiment. Thanks for joining our challenge at Inkspirational.

JulieP said...

My first thought on your card was "tranquility" .... then I read the sentiment and broke out in a smile. ha!!! You do have to wonder just what they are thinking, don't you? Thanks for playing with your Sistahs, Jane!

Mrs A. said...

Oh that is just perfect. Snark away. Hugs Mrs A.

Donna said...

Love it sistah!!!
Thanks for getting inky with Edna and the sisterhood of snarky stampers!!

foleysfriend said...

Love the story and imagery you created with your reminiscing. I especially love the snarky sentiment - made me laugh. The sunray stencil makes a perfect background for the buddha. Thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps and More! Apologies for the late comment.

sue n.