Saturday 13 April 2019

Reviving Shrink Plastic

It's the school Easter holidays, and the weather was pretty grim when the grandchildren came to stay earlier this week, so I decided to think up a crafting activity they hadn't tried before. I found a large-ish pack of shrink plastic in my stash,  something I haven't used for years, and showed them how to colour, cut and shrink it. Naturally they needed adult supervision for the shrinking part, and it put me in the mood for playing with it myself.


I used it to make the flower embellishment on this card. I hand-drew the flower and leaves, adding faux stitching around the edges of each section. Then I coloured it with pencils, cut it out and shrank it, using my heat gun.  A useful tip is to keep a wooden-handled tool handy, I used an embossing tool, to help hold apart any bits that curl towards each other and threaten to stick together. Immediately after heating, place an acrylic block on top of the shrunken image to make sure it stays flat while cooling.

The tag is made by stamping the sentiment then cutting and embossing it using a Sizzix die set.

I am sharing this with CAS-ology - Plastic 

4 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Great CAS card and shrink plastic use -I recently found an used pack from years ago -thank you for the inspiration
Carol x

Jacquie Southas said...

What a clever and fun take on the cue word! Your shrink plastic flower is just perfect to embellish the tag! Love the chevron embossing, too. Thanks for playing along with us at CASology this week!

karen h said...

Wonderful card! Shrink plastic is a perfect choice for this challenge! Thanks for joining us at CASology!

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Oh why didn't I think of that! Great idea to use the shrink plastic! Wonderful CAS card with texture. Thanks for joining in the fun as CASology this week.