Sunday 15 September 2019

Two dogs


The latest challenge at Twofers is Critters.  Now I don't own a dog, I'm more of a cat person, so the lovely dog stamps that came as a cover mount a few months ago have been sitting around uninked and I thought it was about time I put that right, so my critter is this shaggy dog.


My brother recently lost his beloved dog, which prompted me to start with a doggy sympathy card.


I used Versafine ink  and the Misti to stamp the dog,  sentiment and first set of pawprints, stamping 3 times to get a bold impression. Then I continued the line of pawprints, first with a single impression  and then, as they fade away, using the ink left on the stamp to give a much fainter image. I have to confess that even though I'm not a doggy person,  by the time I'd made those pawprints fade away like that, I seemed to have got something  in my eye....

Anyway, I needed cheering up after that and what could be more cheerful than Christmas?


This time I stamped the doggy with Memento ink and coloured him with Promarkers, then fussy cut him. Any other varifocal wearers, do you ever find that when you are fussy cutting, you end up tilting your head up and down like one of those nodding dogs that people used to have in car windows? The festive background was part of a recent magazine gift that I didn't think I would ever be using, but with a bit of modification it turned out to be just right for this. It came with lots of die cut decoupage,  but I used just one layer to add the baubles and garland, extending the garland out over the layers to the edge of the card. The Santa hat is the very last one from a Hot Off The Press pack i bought many years ago, and I added a die cut sentiment.

I am sharing both cards with

Twofer Card Challenge - Critters 


Shopping Our Stash - Dog Days of Summer 

2 Crafty Critter Crazies - September anything goes 

I am sharing the Christmas Card with Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge 

and the Sympathy Card with Little Red Wagon 


9 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Both beautiful cards love them both sorry to hear about your brothers dog-I had varifocals and went back to two pairs just couldn't get on with them
Carol x

Seafield Jo said...

I love the doggy image and you've used it to make 2 beautiful cards.

Jo x

Darnell said...

First of all, I'm sorry your brother's dog died, Jane. Your card will comfort him greatly. I love the footprints leading away from the adorable shaggy dog. And way to make your schtuffs work so cohesively together on your festive Christmas card! That hat is super fine and fits the doggie perfectly and I love the unique way you colored him to look like a leopard! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #20! Hugs, Darnell

Brenda said...

I got something in my eye as I was reading your post. I'm so sorry for your brother's loss and know that your card will mean so much. Your card is perfect and I want to thank you so much for joining us this week at Little Red Wagon! That thing is in my eye again...

creationsnz said...

A wonderful thing to do for your brother, and great use of the doggy images. Thanks for sharing your critters with us at 2CraftyCritterCrazies, come again soon. CarolG

Maria Rodriguez. said...

I'm so sorry for your brother's loss of his dog, it's hard to loose a pet, their paw prints are all over our hearts.
Both these cards are so beautiful, love the Christmas card with the doggie wearing that cute Santa's hat and the Sympathy card is simple and touching, the paw prints fading away really hit the spot.
Thank you for sharing with us at SHOPPING OUR STASH.
Hugs.

Happy Dance said...

I'm sure your brother appreciates your kindness in this card, Jane. It shows the way to doggy heaven perfectly in those paw prints. Your Christmas card is just adorable. Love that pup in the Santa hat! You've created a lovely, warm room, complete with a critter and a view! Thank you so much for joining us at the Twofer Challenge. Bev

Donna said...

Awwwwww I love that card for your brother.
I love the pawprints heading off over the rainbow bridge.
Such a tough painful heartbreaking loss to lose the furry members of your family...
Thanks for celebrating the DOG DAYS OF SUMMER with the crew from SHOPPING OUR STASH!!

Susan Renshaw said...

That card for your brother is lovely!
I love the sentiment die on the Chriatmas card.
Thank you for sharing with Crafty Hazelnut's Weekly Christmas Challenge!
Susan
DT for CHNC
Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!