Monday 16 September 2013

Meal Planning Monday - I'm back!

It seems like months since I said I was going to take a few weeks out of meal planning..... hang on, it IS months! I knew that during May, June and  early July we had several trips planned, and would only be home for part-weeks during which we'd be just using up whatever was around. The last of those trips was to be a visit to my mother in mid July, after which things would be back to normal.

Life doesn't work like that. On the way home from my visit to Mum's, I was taken ill and ended up in hospital with an e.coli infection. When I got home, I didn't even want to think about meals, let alone meal planning, for several weeks.

At last my appetite and interest in food are starting to come back. I still can't eat raw veg or spicy food - I've not had a curry for two months!!!! But at least I can start to plan again! So here we go..... This week's menu relies heavily on the huge amounts of beans and tomatoes there are in the garden at the moment. There are also lots of cucumbers and  chillies, but my tummy won't let me eat them at the moment.

Monday. baked gammon, runner beans, baked tomatoes, parsley sauce and pink fir apple potatoes. All the veg and herbs from the garden. I've also got a bag of cooking apples, so I might try a recipe I've just found for a diabetic friendly version of Eve's Pudding.

Tuesday.  Our wedding anniversary, so we're having one of our favourite meals - rack of lamb, gratin dauphinoise and endive salad followed by pears and Roquefort pate on toasted fruit bread. We have so many beans from the garden I'll probably do some with the main course, perhaps with toasted almonds and a red onion relish.



Wednesday.  If there's any gammon left from Monday I'll use it, along with lots of tomatoes, to make a pasta sauce. I have some pancetta in the fridge to use if we've been piggy and finished the gammon.

Thursday.  Tomato and pesto puff pastry tart.




Friday.  Slow roast belly pork, roast potatoes and yet more beans. If I go to any shops I'll get some mushrooms and make the beans  into a green bean, carrot and mushroom braise with thyme.

Saturday.  I'll be out all day so Mark will be cooking up a surprise for me.

Sunday.  Sausages - I've not decided yet whether they will be made into toad in the hole or served with mash and gravy. But beans and tomatoes will appear with them in one form or another!

I'm linking up to Meal Planning Monday over on At Home With Mrs M - if they'll have me back after so long!


5 comments:

Kim Carberry said...

Welcome back! Glad you are feeling better now and Happy anniversary for tomorrow!!
Everything sounds and looks delicious!! x

Ojo said...

Delicious sounding week and a very happy anniversary :-)x

The Mini Mes and Me said...

Glad to see you back and I hope you are fully recovered.
The lamb looks amazing, enjoy your anniversary x

Peanut said...

Ooooh! mothwateringly delish! Welcome back, Jane.

xxx Asha
Sunny Summer Crafts


kitchen princess said...

Happy Anniversary. Love the idea of the tomato and pesto tart.