Saturday 1 July 2017

The sound of leather on willow

I was very pleased to hear yesterday that cricket is to return to BBC television - not being great sports fans, we've not got any of the paid sports channels it appears on, and summer just isn't summer without cricket.

Back in my school and university days I was a scorer and then an umpire, but I don't think I could explain the LBW rule to you any more.


I made the topper for this card with a sheet of green self adhesive flock paper (I think it is sold for modellers to use as grass) and printed decoupage and border that was in a magazine several years ago. I finished it with the well known appeal cry of "Howzat?" (in this case, pretty obviously Not Out) stamped with individual letters - I know that with these, however carefully I try to like them up they never come out straight, so instead of fiddling around with a ruler and post it notes I went straight for the wonky look. And I tried to make those three question marks look like shattered wickets. Maybe you'll only get that if you're a cricket fan too.

I have made this card to share at Allsorts Challenge where this week's theme is A Question of Sport.

8 comments:

cotnob said...

A great card Jane, your sentiment looks fabulous.
I hope you are enjoying the weekend.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Liz said...

Brilliant card, Jane, a super design. I love the 'grass' and your sentiment is perfect!

I'm not a cricket fan, but my DH is and he has been watching it quite a lot lately on the TV, so I've had half an eye on it. I'm not sure I understand the rules, apart from the bowler throws the ball, the batman tries to hit it and the fielders try to catch it.....does that just about sum it up? ;-) xx

Barb said...

A super card Jane and another very clever design. I love the sentiment too.

Like Liz, I'm not a cricket fan but glad you will now be able to enjoy it on the BBC. When I was young I was a copy taker with a local newspaper. I often typed sports reports as the journalist phoned them in although I didn't have a clue what all the terms meant. It's strange to think the job doesn't now exist. Barbxx

Cara said...

Fabulous card, great idea to go for the jaunty angle look on the sentiment, it works so well x

Mia said...

Fantastic! I love your card, Jane!

Kathleen said...

Super card, love the 'grass' effect and bats and balls. Thank you for joining my 'Question of Sport' challenge this week at Allsorts.

Kath

brenda said...

A perfect image for this weeks 'A question of sport' theme at Allsorts, many thanks for sharing your lovely card with us.

B x

Craftnut said...

Thanks for your entry to our sports theme at allsorts Tracy x