Tuesday 2 October 2018

Goldeneye

You may not know this, but owls that hunt by day have golden-yellow eyes, owls that hunt at night have dark brown ones. And ones that hunt at dawn or dusk have orange ones.

So here is my daytime owl with his haunting golden eyes.


Apart from the flight of geese, all the stamps I used for this came from the latest issue of Creative Stamping.

First of all I stamped the owl and then masked him. Next I stamped the tree stump so that the owl was perching on it, and masked that.
Then, using torn paper to mark the outline of the hills, I created a watercolour background by very lightly scribbling several colours of watercolour pencil over the card and then gently blending them with a damp water brush.
Before the background was completely dry, I stamped the fir trees, spritzing each stamp with water before stamping to give then a hazy, distant look. Then I removed the masks from the owl and stump.
I then dried it all off with a heat tool and left it overnight under several acrylic blocks to flatten it.
Next day, I coloured the image with Promarkers and stamped in the foliage and grass to give a "forest clearing" look, then added the flight of geese (Lavinia stamps) in the sky, before mounting the whole scene onto kraft card, using extra strong tape to make sure the card didn't buckle.

Incidentally those geese are among my favourite stamps, so much so that I was very upset when I lost it, and after turning my craft stash upside down and inside out, bought a replacement stamp. Yes, you've guessed it - I can now find the old stamp but not the brand new one!

I am sharing this with
The Male Room - The Great Outdoors
Use Your Stuff - Forest Frolic
2 Crafty Critter Crazies - atg with a creature
Alphabet Challenge - Nature   

12 comments:

Linby said...

No I didn't know that about owls! fab card with a lovely scene. Well at least you have a spare geese stamp somewhere lol!

Linby said...

doh! forgot to say Thanks so much for sharing with us at TMR challenge.
Lynn x
DT

creationsnz said...

Lots of effort went into this and I love your little story about owls too. We hope you join us again at 2 Crafty Critter Crazies, CarolG

crafty-stamper said...

I didn't know that about the owls thanks for the info.Love the stamps and background can relate to the lost and bought new ones tale unfortunately
Carol x

Tammy L said...

Great card. I love the scene and thanks for the tidbit on owls. I did not know that! Thanks for sharing with us at Use Your Stuff and hope to see you again!
Tammy DT Co-ordinator

Janice said...

Beautiful scene you have created, a lovely card.
Thank you so much for sharing with us at Alphabet Challenge ~ Janice DT

Darlene said...

PERFECT! What a beautiful scene you have created! Thanks so much for playing in our Alphabet Challenge! Good Luck and please come back next month!

Darlene
Alphabet Challenge DT
ALPHABET CHALLENGE BLOG
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop by for a visit.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Such a wonderful scene with that proud owl on the ready to spring into action, a Beautiful card. Thank you so much for joining us in our The Great Outdoors challenge at The Male Room this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

Faith The Male Room DT
Daffodil Cards {My Blog}

The Male Room
themaleroomchallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk

Tina Campbell said...

Super cute card :) Thanks for playing along with us over at Use Your Stuff

Deborah Frings said...

I love this gorgeous outdoors scene and I absolutely love the owl! Thanks so much for playing along with our challenge at The Male Room. Deborah. DT. PS - I didn't know that about owl eyes - thank you xx

Andreja said...

Fantastic male card :-)) I like your colouring and scene you made.
Thank you for join us at The Male Room. Looking forward to seeing you the next time, too.

Lady Joyful said...

Beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT