Friday 5 October 2018

Struggling with a stencil

A short while ago I bought two of the beautiful new A4 size (letter size, I think my US friends would call them) stencils from Imagination Crafts.

They are absolutely gorgeous, but I'm finding that however carefully I tape them down, when I'm trying to use just part of the stencil on a small piece of card, it's difficult to make sure the stencil holds down firmly against the card, so there is some element of seepage under the stencil edges.

I suppose this is always a problem when the stencil is larger than the surface you are applying it to - does anyone have any foolproof solutions?

Here is my latest piece of smudgy stencilling.


Being a sort-of intentionally messy piece, the smudging isn't too much of a problem, and I've added some hand doodling in among the stencilling to add to the random effect. I used Imagination Crafts Starlight Metallic Paint for the stencilling.

The image is a beautiful Indigo Blu stamp. I tore around the edges and added just a few pearls to highlight the flowers in her hair.

I'm sharing this with The Butterfly Challenge where the wheel segments I have used are seagreen and silhouette
And also with Little Red Wagon - use a stencil

4 comments:

cc said...

I'd tape all around the card to the back of the stencil and tape all around the stencil to the work surface.

Imke said...

I would also tape around the egdes but honestly i use Stencils rarely even it´s my Challenge theme this week over @ Little Red Wagon **lol** You did a great job using a Stencil. It´s Perfect for our Challenge. Thanks for joining us and i hope to see you back again soon.

Imke ~ MY CRAFTY PLACE

Mrs A. said...

I very rarely use stencils for this very reason. Doesn't seem to matter how carefully I tape them down I always get seepage. Your card is lovely with the added doodles around the stencil and that image is one of my favourites. Thankyou for coming and spinning the butterfly wheel with me this week. Hugs Mrs A.

crafty-stamper said...

I only use parts of stencils never the whole-but yours looks fine to me and the beautiful stamp is one of my favourites
Carol x