Tuesday 17 July 2012

Pizza - with no tomatoes!

Here is an idea for a pizza that doesn't use any tomatoes, ideal if you have a tomato-hater to feed but also just an interesting variation on a theme.

You will need:
About 3 tbs pesto - I make my own and freeze it in ice cube trays. Each cube is about a tablespoonful which makes it easy to measure
One pizza base - raw or cooked, fresh or bought. Mine was a pre-cooked home made one, again from the freezer. When I'm making pizza dough, I make two bases  and cook one with no topping then freeze it to make a quick supper another day.
One ball of mozzarella cheese
A handful of pine nuts
A little freshly grated Parmesan

Spread the pesto over the base then tear the mozzarella roughly into small pieces and  scatter over the base. Sprinkle over the pine nuts and grate a thin layer of Parmesan over the top.

Cook in a very hot oven for around 10 minutes until the mozzarella is melted and the Parmesan golden, or if you are using a raw base cook according to your recipe.

You may think my finished pizza looks a little overcooked, and might prefer it less well done, but Mark and I are big fans of the Brown Crispy Bits on bread of all kinds and I usually deliberately overcook breads and pizzas (and lamb chops, but that's another story)




No comments: