Saturday 24 June 2017

Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers #87 Arty

For this fortnight's challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers, Edna wants us to get Arty.

Image may contain: 2 people, text
 

In other words, she (and we Sistahs) would like to see a piece of mixed media work - and we'd love it if you could make it snarky too!

As you probably know, I really struggle with mixed media. I never seem to be able to work out which direction I'm heading in, or how to steer a course to where I want to end up. I like to have a clear picture in my mind of what the finished item will look like and how I'm going to get there, and I'm still too inexperienced with mixed media techniques to be confident in how they will turn out. However, I got myself inky and messy and came up with this:


First of all I gave myself some direction by deciding how the card would look if I was making a simpler one - I would have put the butterfly, on a couple of layers, in the middle of a large die cut, and added a heart or flower in the corner. With that in mind, I found it easier to focus on where I was heading.

I covered an A5 card with a piece of Bo Bunny paper; the grid lines and some of the green distressing were part of the design on the paper but I added a little more green ink to define the edges. Then I stamped the mesh in green and the diamond basket weave in grey - two stamps from a very old Linda Luckin set. Next I used a brass stencil and texture paste to add a motif to diagonally opposite corners, and when it was dry, inked it with Distress Stain.

I die cut several butterflies using the good old Cuttlebug butterfly die and some French text paper, then inked them and added liquid pearls to the bodies of two of them. I added colour and texture to my die cut shape using the faux letterpress technique, inking a magazine cover gift embossing folder before using it to emboss the shape. Then I layered up mesh, hessian, the label, butterflies, some text printed vellum and corrugated kraft, adding a few more liquid pearl drops to the kraft layer.

The metal heart is placed where it would have been in a simpler version of the card, and finally I couldn't resist adding this stamped Dylusions sentiment because the message it conveys is absolutely the total opposite of my own experience when making this!

I  found that despite my expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed making this and I think I'll be delving into the realms of mixed media more often in future.

I would like to share this with the following challenges:
Crafty Creations - Anything Goes
Alphabet Challenge - H for hearts
Sweet Stampin' - Lots of Layers
Country View Challenges - Hearts
Mix it Up - Anything Goes/Stamping    

21 comments:

Craftychris said...

This is sooooo cool! Love all the elements you have incorporated and your thought process is brilliant starting with what you know and building on that, I think I may try that idea myself, thank you! xxx

Barbara Godden said...

What a gorgeous card, for someone that was apprehensive about mixed media you did a bang-up job!!! Love your idea of a simple approach and build on it, I tend to look at the big picture and panic.

Chris Dring said...

Holy crow Jane! This card is amazing! LOVE all the layers, and the techniques you've used, and the layers, and the color pallet, and the layers! WOW!

Mia said...

Another fabulous card, Jane! So vintage and elegant!

cotnob said...

This is fabulous Jane, great texture and lots of super layers - I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the process.
Pauline -
Crafting with Cotnob
x

Dotty Jo said...

Glad you enjoyed your dip into mixed media too, Jane! I love this piece so much and that sentiment sums everything up beautifully, Jo x

Liz said...

This is a brilliant creation, Jane. Like you, I shy away from mixed media projects as I never know where to start, but you've cracked it with this one. xx

Basslady said...

a very stylish creation!

thank you so much for playing along with us at alphabet challenges!

hugs and kisses from germany,
silvi

Marlene Atkinson said...

A gorgeous card. thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Creations Challenge. Marlene DT

Mimi said...

Dangit... lost my comment by accidentally pressing "back"... rrr... just said you could have fooled me that mixed media ain't your thing... looks like expert work! And I really like your sentiment-- I needed that today: plenty of time, nothing but brick walls...

An Occasional Genius said...

A fabulous piece & I love the tip about visualising where you'd be going with a simpler piece. Thanks so much for playing along with Sweet Stampin' xx

Cara said...

You may have felt out of your comfort zone, but it certainly doesn't look like you were. Great card, love all the texture you created and the sentiment finishes it off perfectly x

Cara said...

Back with my DT hat on. You totally nailed the layers on this stunning card! Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin'. Cara DT x

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

It is very nice. I don't have a plan, usually, when doing mixed media. I play with a background for awhile and then go from there. With cards I usually follow a sketch, same with scrapbooking. It is hard to let go but if you work in stages it's not so scary.

Sue said...

This is fabulous Jane, I love your use of text, always a favourite of mine. Thank you so much for joining in with us at Country View Crafts and have a great week. Sue xx

Lindsey said...

This came out perfectly! So much texture and arty goodness!

Donna said...

Beautiful!!
Simply fabulous sistah!! You rocked it!
Love the plan of working from the butterfly out!

Evelyn Walter said...

What a beautiful project! Thank you for joining in with our challenge at Country View Challenges this month! Evelyn xx

Cass said...

Fabulous project. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin'
Cass xx

Loose Stitches said...

Fabulous project, love all the embellishments and design!
Thank you for joining us at Mix It Up Challenge Blog! We hope to see you again!
Sherry x
DT for Mix It Up Challenge Blog
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads – My personal Blog

Helen said...

Great creation, Jane - love all the elements you've incorporated.

Thanks for joining us at the Alphabet Challenge.

Helen x