Thursday 15 June 2017

Vintage bicycle

When I use this stamp, or my penny-farthing die,  non-British friends often ask me why I refer to it as a penny-farthing. Well, in the UK we always call this style of bicycle by that name, because in old money such as was used in Victorian times, the penny was a very large coin and the farthing, worth a quarter of a penny, was a very small one. So the bicycle looked like a penny and a farthing, side by side.



For this card, I cut the cream background panel and embossed with an Mbossabilities reversible folder (sorry, can't remember the name)  over just the top half. I lightly inked the embossed area and edges with Aged Mahogany DI which is a lovely deep red.  I used Versafine ink in a matching deep red shade for the stamping, then layered with deep red card (it looks black on the photo, I always seem to make dark colours look black when I photograph them) and some newsprint effect paper. I had prepared some matching die cut cogs to embellish it with, but when I arranged them on the card to gauge the best position, I decided it actually looked better without - somehow the embossing gives it an unusual sort-of-CAS-Vintage look that doesn't respond well to further embellishment.

I am sharing this with:
Always Fun Challenges - male or dad
Sweet Stampin - Monochrome
Crafty Gals Corner - Vintage
Cuttlebugmania  -  Fathers day
Craft Rocket - for the men/boys
Fab n Funky - Vintage 



6 comments:

NanaConnie said...

Fantastic vintage,Jane. Love the enhanced embossing.

Cara said...

I loge your choice of colours for this card, the highlighted embossing sets off the image perfectly x

Barb said...

A lovely vintage card Jane and I love the colour you've used. Barbxx

Jannie said...

What a beautiful gorgeous card! Love the color you have used!
And the newspaper look

Thank you for joining us at Cuttlebug Mania
Cuttlebugs & Hugs
Jannie

Ginny said...

fab card, thanks for joining us at FnF :)

Cross Stitch Claire said...

Great card! Thanks for joining us at Craft Rocket, Claire DT x