Sunday 29 March 2015

A Brayer-and-Salt background

This week's challenge at Less is More is to combine  any THREE past challenges. I thought this would be a great opportunity to try some of the challenges that took place before I started to play along, so I looked at the very earliest challenges and chose:

Week 11 - Acetate
Week 12 - Off centre
Week 31 - Metallic

I die cut the Tattered Lace dragonfly panel (this is the cover mounted die from the current issue of their magazine) in a green metallic card, then cut a panel slightly larger than the die cut - off centre of course - in a white card and backed it with acetate, and mounted the die cut on the acetate.


I felt it needed something to show through behind the acetate, so I cut a piece of card slightly wider than the acetate panel. I used normal stamping card, not the glossy card I would normally brayer. It needs to be quite heavy card to prevent buckling when wet.  I brayered it with a Kaleidacolor Caribbean Sea inkpad, then spritzed it thoroughly with water, and immediately sprinkled coarse sea salt over the surface. I left it to dry (well, actually I encouraged it a bit with my heat gun) then used a stiff, clean stencilling brush to sweep away the grains of salt. I was left with a panel that reminds me a lot of the ripples on the surface of a pond  - I mounted this on the back panel of the card to sit under the acetate window.





8 comments:

Viv said...

Lovely!

Chrissie said...

I just LOVE that back panel Jane, what a great effect and the colours are stunning!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Lynne said...

Brilliant technique on the panel and the colours are beautiful. Fabulous card.
Lynne xxx

Liz said...

WOW, this is stunning! Love the colours. xx

Kathyk said...

A very LUSH card

Kathyk

Nessa's Crafty Place said...

Beautiful card-that backing panel is stunning :)
Nessa xxx

Sazzle Dazzle said...

WOW! Elegant, classy sophistication and love that background panel.
Perfect colours and a gorgeous card Jane
Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

Anne said...

What a stunner Jane! Tricky challenges, at least I think so and you got the to work together to perfection
Thanks so much for combining challenges at LIM!
Anne
Less is More