I really wasn't happy with the card I posted yesterday for the Fugly challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers, so here I am as promised with a second attempt.
You might not think of a butterfly shaped card blank as fugly, or even moderately ugly, but I've had this pack of them for around 20 years and never yet managed to use one successfully. Everything I've tried to make with them has turned out to be a total mess, and I've been trying to use them up by feeding them to the grandkids. Not as meals, you understand, but as fodder for their insatiable crafting appetites. But with just a couple left, even they have started to groan "Oh not again Grandma!" and grab a plain rectangular card instead.
So, the card base is my Fugly element, and I decided this time to stop trying to pretty it up and go down the messy route. First I sponged various distress inks on it and spritzed with water, then when it was dry, lightly inked a large script stamp with the same inks at random and stamped all over the card. I added veins and stippled edges using the wonderful stamps from Gentleman Crafter (it looks as if they are still out of stock, pity as they are brilliant stamps) and went around the edge with a yellow Wink of Stella pen. I added the very faint circles you can see in places by inking a piece of bubble wrap with Antique Linen DI, dabbing it on the card here and there, and embossing it with matching Distress Powder before brushing most of it off.
I added some dragonflies stamped on white card and fussy cut, with green Wink of Stella for the bodies, then made the butterfly's body using a metal key, with raffia tape looped through for the antennae.
You know, I think I've changed something very fugly into something rather fab, a bit like the transformation from caterpillar to butterfly. And I can't remember when I last had quite so much fun making something!