Wednesday 18 May 2016

Lamb spiced rice and two salads

Mark and I are huge fans of cookery writer Sabrina Ghayour, and have just bought a copy of her latest book, Sirocco. Last night I cooked from it for the first time - here are the dishes I made (obviously, I can't provide the recipes for the dishes I cooked from the book, so I've given the page numbers so if you have a copy of the book you can go straight to them).

Lamb, saffron, dried lime and cumin spiced rice - page 191. I omitted the red pepper as Mark doesn't eat them, so my photo doesn't look as colourful as the original in the book


One of the ingredients is dried lime powder. I ground up dried limes that I bought in a Lebanese shop in France but I think if you couldn't get hold of them, you could substitute the rind and juice of a fresh lime along with a generous amount of black pepper, as the powder has a sharp, peppery tang.

I served it with Apple, Sumac, Red Onion and Pomegranate Salad - page 110, which I made exactly as described in the recipe, using lovely fresh mint from the garden.



And finally, a dish of my own invention, a feta, radish and walnut salad.

 

To make this you will need

A handful of walnut halves, toasted lightly in a hot oven for 5-7 minutes
A medium bunch of radishes (ours were straight from the garden), trimmed and sliced
50g feta cheese, crumbled
3-4 sprigs fresh mint, finely chopped
6 leaves Little Gem Lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces.

Simply layer the ingredients in a bowl - lettuce first, then scatter over the radishes, then walnuts, then cheese and then mint. Very quick, very simple  and a lovely combination of flavours and textures. There's no need for a dressing - that could detract from the crunch of the nuts and the salty tang of the cheese.

With the radishes and mint coming on like wildfire in the garden at the moment, I think we'll be eating this salad again very soon.

I'm sharing my Feta, Radish and Walnut salad with Simple and in Season at FeedingBoys

Simple and in Season on feedinboys.co.uk

4 comments:

David Ford said...

Great looking dish Jane have to say I am not keen on red peppers either

David Ford said...

PS have to say your picture quality is right up there with Mark now

Cara said...

Lovely looking dishes, hope they tasted as good as they looked! Cara x

Corina said...

I love feta and it must go so well with the pepperiness of the raddishes - sound lovely!