Sunday 11 December 2016

Right, let's get this over with.....

I was very tempted not to post this card. It's my fourth attempt at this technique, and at least this time it isn't completely messed up (you should see the others) but frankly I'm not proud of it. I have forced myself to share it just to show that sometimes I make a total mess of things!


I made it as my entry for the December challenge at CAS Watercolour - Watercolour Resist. The large sentiment was stamped with Versamark ink onto heavy watercolour paper and then heat embossed with clear powder. Then  I painted over with distress ink and a water brush and finished it with the smaller stamped sentiment - both stamps from a Stampin Up set I won in the Playground.

I'm not very experienced with watercolouring and previous attempts produced harsh edges, wishy washy colours and in one example, a vivid illustration of how difficult it is to line up images stamped with Versamark. Have you ever seen a hibiscus with the stamen growing out backwards? So the uneven colouring, the puckered paper and the grey splodge in the embossing are actually a major improvement on those that went before. But I think it's pretty safe to say you will NOT be seeing this technique on my blog again until I've had a lot more practise.

However I'm still going to share it at CAS Watercolour - as a glowing example of what NOT to do!

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

I can commiserate with you Jane! I stamped with VersaMark and embossed and when I painted I saw the stem was about 1" from the flower! LOL! I think this is just fine! That's a beautiful sentiment for this technique! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Watercolour!

crafty-stamper said...

Looks fine to me don't forget water colour is uneven colouring
Carol x

Loll said...

I think you did a great job Jane. I love how the colour flows across the page. Watercolour paper buckles when it has a lot of water added ... it's just the way it is. You could try adding less water, or just place your dry piece under some books (or weights) to flatten. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

Barbara Godden said...

I have never watercoloured on vellum, I think it looks nice, graduated colour and that sentiment is perfect. Flattening it under a weight/books sound like it would work.

Karen Dunbrook said...

lovely card..the blues are so dreamy.
Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!