Monday 12 December 2016

The flower fairy

I've been wanting to use this fairy silhouette stamp in this was ever since I got the set, a freebie in a magazine some time ago, and it's taken the current Butterfly Challenge, All kinds of fairies, elves and pixies, to push me into getting my waxes out and having a go at it.


The technique, if you are not familiar with it, is called encaustic painting and is created by melting hot wax onto the base of a small iron and then applying it to glossy card in various ways. The image is stamped with Stazon before starting to apply the waxes - it is resistant to the coloured waxes but ONLY if they don't contain any white pigment. So the sky, for instance, is made with clear and blue waxes rather than the white and blue I might use if there was no stamping involved.  After completing and polishing the scene to give it a lovely shine, I sponged a little glitter glue on to look like fairy dust sprinkling from the wand.

The background is the very last scrap of a sheer fabric covered with a cobwebby silver design, left over from a QVC  kit I bought many years ago. The purple and yellow card were also from my snippets box - the honeysuckle border is a Memory Box die, I think, and I cut the yellow mat with fancy scissors (which I recon must be just about due for a revival!). So I am also sharing this at the Snippets Playground - and I'm heading over there to see if there are any mince pies and mulled wine on offer behind the bike sheds!

4 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Fabulous technique. I have seen it done with waxed paper which you then iron onto the blank card but not like you have done here. This is a lovely result. Think I might have that fairy too.
Thankyou for fluttering by my challenge. I just made a fresh brew of mulled wine up. I did have some Stollen cake but those pesky elves ate it all. See you over at the bike sheds. hugs Mrs A.

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

This is fantastic Jane. I bought all of the waxes many years ago but then could not get on with them. Love how you've made this.

Sue xx

Greta said...

What an interesting technique & magical card!

Di said...

I love your encaustic work Jane, and still have the wonderful galleon card on view in here! Love this scene you created - such a sweet fairy as well!

Hugs

Di xx