Sunday 30 August 2015

Never throw anything away!

Last Christmas I got some rather nice crisp white cotton napkins to use when we were eating Christmas dinner. They had embroidered Christmas pudding motifs on one corner and looked great on the table. However, it turned out that they were not actually embroidered onto the napkins - they were machine-made embroidered motifs that had been GLUED on. And not with water resistant glue, either - when I came to wash the napkins, all the motifs came off, and all but one of them got mangled up - I rescued the sole survivor and since than we've used the plain white table napkins as everyday ones.

After I'd finished ranting about "Who on earth makes table napkins that aren't washable?" (especially with a mucky eater like me around!) I realised that one rescued motif might come in useful one day and slipped it into my Christmas stash. And today I decided to make a card with it.

What would you present a Christmas pudding on but a pretty doily? And what would you present a recycled Christmas pudding on? Well, a recycled doily, of course. This doily has been cut with a doily die using paper that was actually the inside of an envelope from yesterday's junk mail. Do keep an eye on your junk mail - some of it comes in envelopes with very pretty patterns on the inside! I think the die is a docrafts / Xcut one because it has its own brown magnetic sheet which I always associate with the brand.

All it needed than was some festive-coloured snippets from my snippets box and a  clear adhesive greeting, and I have another Christmas card to add to my slowly-growing pile - and it cost practically nothing to make!


So here is my second visit for the week to Pixie's Snippets Playground as well as my second visit to Allsorts Challenge Blog - Recycle/upcycle

7 comments:

Barb said...

What a great recycle card Jane. A girl after my own heart! I have a tin full of envelopes that get recycled in my crafting. What a shame that the puddings came off your napkins in the wash but I have to say it looks perfect on your lovely Christmas card. Barbxx

KT Fit Kitty said...

I don't like to throw anything away either! Silly to make napkins that aren't washable but your little pudding looks fabulous on your card! Love your glittery layers too!

Hettie said...

Great Christmas card there Jane. I often look at the envelopes to see if I like the paper.
Great little pudding too.
Hugs
xx

Di said...

Oh this is lovely Jane! A great save of the pudding and it makes a very fine card indeed. And I never think to check the insides of envelopes for patterns - will do now though!

Can you smell Tiger Balm wafting up the M3? Snigger :)

Hugs

Di xx

Granmargaret said...

Lovely card

Tracy said...

Gorgeous creation, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

susiestacey said...

Lovely card and great recycling too.
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 'Recycling' challenge this week and good luck x Susan x