Sunday 2 August 2015

Versamark resist - complete with mistakes!

It's ages and ages since I used the Versamark resist technique - so long, in fact, that as you will see, I messed it up the first time.

If you're not familiar with the technique, you stamp your image onto glossy card using Versamark ink, and then brayer a dye based ink over it, and the image pops out from the background. And the more you brayer, the clearer the image gets.

Now I wanted to do this but I also wanted to use an ordinary smooth white card, so I knew that my image wouldn't show up very clearly. Also as I was using several inkpads, I wanted to use a sponge rather than a brayer.

I masked off a strip on my card and off I went. The sponge didn't seem to be working so I switched to cottonwool balls, which made the ink colours brighter - but still no image, or only the tiniest trace of one. Then I realised I was using pigment ink. Sigh.

So, rather than waste the card blank, I dried off the ink with my heat gun then stamped and embossed these bold butterflies (an old Hero Arts stamp, and my granddaughter's absolute favourite stamp)  over the card once the mask had been removed.  If you look very closely, you will see faint traces of the gerbera stamp that I used on the masked strip.
 


So, back to the drawing board.  This time I remembered to use a dye based ink, and despite not being on glossy card, the gerberas are much more clearly visible. After removing the mask I stamped and embossed the gerberas in black and coloured them in with marker pens. And I learned something new - masking tape leaves an invisible residue that slightly resists marker pens. Who'd a thunk it? It might have been OK if I was using Promarkers, but I chose water based ones as I was making one layer cards and didn't want the colour to show through on the back.


And come to think of it, those flowers look more like daisies than gerberas, but I'm pretty sure the stamp was called "Gerbera" when I bought it!

So, there have been lots of slip ups along the way, and I've learned from my mistakes and hopefully some of YOU will have learned from them too. So in the interest of public service, despite both cards having major faults, I'm playing along with:

Casology - Wings (card 1)
Addicted to stamps and more - Photo Inspiration (card 2)

One layer Simplicity - Strip down (both cards)
Less is More - Berry colours (card2)

13 comments:

Kathyk said...

Two VERY pretty cards and such sumptuous colours too

Kathyk

Cardsbymaaike said...

lovely cards my favourite would be the one with the gerberas or daisies

Sid said...

Loving both your cards !

Sazzle Dazzle said...

OOOH! Yummy! Super scrumptious and gorgeous use of those Berry shades Jane.
Both fabulous and striking cards and thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

Gillian R said...

Gorgeous cards, love the panels. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology

Ardyth said...

Ah two of my favourite challenges and two very beautiful cards! So glad you joined us at CASology and OLS this week!

Neets B said...

Well, despite your 'mistakes' I think these both turned out great. Love the rich colours on both of these.
Thanks for sharing at ATSM and Less is More, Anita x

Monika Reeck said...

you are so productive Jane
how can you have more than 24 hours a day hehe
I work half day then kids and houshold it make me only can craft after 8:00 PM after the kids in Bed hehe
also I love both but the one with flower is awesome Jane looks like paper piecing but it is one layer card right
great made Jane
thanks for joining us at ATSM...my commenting number is 9 but I see you there also I jump to your card hehehe
thats what friend are for...(Diana Ross, do you know her song?)
hugs from Munich
Monika

Chrissie said...

I'm glad to be back from my various jaunts and ready to do lots of blog visiting!
What super CAS cards, they are both terrific!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Jane Willis said...

I remember those days of not being able to do anything until the kids had gone to bed - but nowadays my kids have kids of their own. I'm more or less retired, too, just a bit of freelance work, so I have lots of time for crafting!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful card! Love your flowers and design! Thank you for joining us at ATSM this week.
Kamila DT

Anne said...

Super save Jane and fab cards!
Thanks so much for joining us this week
Anne
Less is More

TaeEun said...

beautiful cards! The flowers look like gerberas to me. I didn't know about the Versamark resist technique, should try it soon :) Thanks!