Saturday 11 July 2020

Butterfly two ways

This month's Twofer Card Challenge theme is Butterflies - one of my favourite themes, almost up there with dragonflies!

I chose this butterfly stamp which was part of a magazine freebie set several years ago.



I am sharing the pair at Twofers 



and also at Allsorts where the theme is something beginning with B. Between the two I've got butterflies, birthdays and blue - lots of Bs!

Now a closer look at the individual cards.


I went pretty old-school on this  - matting and layering over a stamped background. I was going to use my Misti to line up the rows of stamping but it looked a bit odd with the sentiments lined up one above the other, so I stamped it by hand to make it easier to offset them. 

For the topper, I stamped a bark-effect stamp  over the square in light green, then inked the surface of my smallest square acrylic block with dark pink and pressed it over the  background, then finally stamped the butterfly in a darker green, added dark pink and green matting and finally ran the dark green inkpad around the edge of the card.

I am sharing this with Watercooler Wednesday - all about occasions



I often use butterflies on sympathy cards, so I decided my twofer should be a syampathy card. I went for a very CAS one layer card.


I simply masked the card to leave a band just narrower than the flower silhouette (from the same stamp set as the butterfly)  and used a brayer to lightly apply the ink from a Kaleidacolor pad.  Then I removed the masking and used Versafine ink for all the stamping. Job done! It only took a few minutes, something I think can be important with sympathy cards as unfortunately there are times when we need them at very short notice.

I am sharing this with AAA Cards - Made in Minutes




15 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

Lovely, lovely cards Jane! I am so impressed by how well you lined up your happy birthday sentiment on the background of your 1st card...and all freehand! Love the butterfly image you chose too! And your sympathy card is so pretty with the soft colors in the background and the silhouette garden and butterfly. Thanks so much for sharing these 2 beauties with us at The Twofer Challenge!! :0)

Mrs A. said...

Two super butterfly cards. I like the technique you used on the matting and layering for the first card. I have some more M & S boxes coming next week so hope they don’t go missing again like last time.Hugs Mrs A.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Beautiful twofer with that fancy butterfly, Jane!! Just love the shaded strip on your one-layer and the text background you created on card two!!

Jane said...

Love your brayered panel, the colours look awesome. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

Karen Brown said...

Two beautiful cards! Your birthday butterfly is lovely. We are so pleased that you joined us this week at Watercooler Wednesday. Karen - DT

TK said...

Two sweet cards, and your sympathy is sure to bring comfort. Your butterfly is beautiful and intricately detailed

Cat Craig said...

Love the background Happy Birthday stamping...so even and it makes a great landing spot for your butterfly focal point. Your inking is fabulous on your sympathy card perfect for your silhouettes. Thank you for playing along with Twofer Card Challenge #29.

Darnell said...

You were Johnny-on-the-spot with these two beautiful QACAS cards, Jane! I love them both! What a great idea to layer the sediment sideways on your birthday card for lots more interest! And you can never go wrong with a pretty silhouette panel on a sympathy card. Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #29! Hugs, Darnell

Created by Kath said...

Both cards are lovely! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges! Kath-DT

Mervi said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely cards at Allsorts;-))m

Francesca said...

Beautiful card! Thank you for playing at AAA Cards!

Michelle W said...

Two beautiful cards! Thanks for sharing with us at Watercooler Wednesday and AAA Cards.

Tracy said...

Fabulous creations, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Nora Noll said...

These are so pretty!! I LOVE the silhouette design you created on your second card and the fun multiple stamping of the sentiment on the first. GREAT design.

Sue - said...

Two lovely cards Jane. I think butterflies are good on sympathy cards.