Saturday 6 June 2015

I only meant to buy green card....

..... honest I did......  but while browsing a site looking for some, I happened upon this wonderful die called Colchester Houses from Poppystamps. Now one of my daughters used to live in Colchester and her house looked absolutely nothing like that, but nevertheless I fell in love with the die and it somehow found its way into my basket.

I thought it would look really good as a silhouette against a sunset background, so I masked off a suitable sized band of a card and used inkpads and a watercolour brush to create a fiery sunset. Then I was just about to stick down the diecut and it dawned on me - the sunset was going to show through the windows and all the houses would look as if they were on fire.

So I stuck it onto white card first, and cut it out. Which made me realise what a blessing a die cutting machine is - those little eaves were right ******* to cut out. Next time I'm going to add the diecut BEFORE making the background......


I'm playing along with Less is More, where this week it's a colour challenge, with the theme Sunset

9 comments:

Di said...

Snort! Sorry Jane, did you hear me laugh from further down the road to you? Tee, hee. In any case, it turned out FABULOUS in the end!

I wonder if you could have cut it out from white card as well as black and then stuck all the teeny, weeny white bits into the holes where the windows and doors are? Whilst peeling a bunch of grapes of course! Am only wondering as I have a silhouette skyline die here - yet to play with.

Hugs

Di xx

Anne said...

Yes, been there done that Jane! It is a faff to cut round the houses but it certainly made a stunning card, love it.
Thank you very much for joining us.
Anne
Less is More

Neets B said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that makes these errors..haha! Everything worked out brilliantly in the end.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More

Chrissie said...

Glad your houses didn't go up in flames Jane!
The finished effect is fab!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Unknown said...

Adorable!! And, oh, do I feel your pain!! LOL xo

Vicki Dutcher said...

Love those fun tiny houses~ looks good with the sunset

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Fun, cute, clever and fabulous little houses set against the dreamy sunset.
Great take on the challenge Jane, Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

scrappymo! said...

Glad your houses did not catch on fire!!!
Quick thinking there to resue them!

Wonderful card and really versatile die...

scrappymo! said...

Glad your houses did not catch on fire!!!
Quick thinking there to resue them!

Wonderful card and really versatile die...