Friday 19 June 2015

The Naschmarkt in Vienna

This weekend it's the Austrian Grand Prix - which means that the F1 Foods challenge at Caroline Makes is all about Austrian recipes.  However it's beginning to look a lot as if I'm not going to get time to cook and blog a recipe before the challenge closes, so I thought I'd talk a little about one of out favourite foodie spots in Austria instead.



Now Mark and I love Austria, and we love Austrian food, and most of all we love Vienna. And one of our favourite spots in Vienna is the Naschmarkt. It's a long, semi-covered area of a mixture of market-style stalls, shops, restaurants and cafés, all of which sell food, drink or tableware. Most of it is aimed at local people rather than tourists, so there are fruit and veg stalls, spice stalls, meat, cheese and charcuterie stalls, oil and vinegar shops and stalls selling ready prepared delicacies such as beautifully arranged stuffed vegetables and salads. It would be easy to pop in on the way home from work and grab the ingredients for a stunning dinner party!

I'm just going to leave you to drool over some of the stalls we've enjoyed visiting.....









 









2 comments:

Liz said...

WOW! I'm suddenly feeling very hungry! We love Austria too, although we usually head up to the mountains near Innsbruck. xx

Caroline Cowe said...

I can't believe I didn't go here when I was in Vienna! Ah well.. beautiful photos, is it OK if I include one of them in the round-up for the Formula 1 Foods challenge? Thanks for taking the time to take part and share your memories and photos even though you didn't have time to bake anything!