Wednesday 10 June 2015

Inspired by an English Country Garden #2

One of the gardens we visited last weekend was absolutely TINY - it had been created on the site of  the cottage's garage. The old garage walls had been retained and whitewashed to give as much light as possible, giving an illusion of space, and there were several interesting curios and artworks featured, including a beautiful pottery platter. It was a flat white circle, completely covered with debossed butterflies. Then in the centre, a single bolder butterfly stood proud of the platter. It looked stunning set against the white wall - there was almost no colour to it yet it was really eye-catching.

I didn't have a suitable embossing folder to create the kind of debossed background I wanted, so I had to make a flat one by using a light grey ink to stamp random butterflies over the circle, masking them as I went along. I then heat embossed the same butterfly onto white card and added it with thin foam pads.

For the whitewashed wall, I daubed tiny bits of grey and green ink, to represent dirt and lichen, over my stone wall embossing folder before running it through the Grand Calibur. (I was a bit nervous doing that as last week I killed a Grand Calibur by making the wrong sandwich with this folder and had to buy a new machine!)

The finished card reminds me very much of the platter. Although it looks as if it could use a sentiment, I don't want to spoil the memory of the garden that it recreates for me right now!


I'm sharing this with
Crafty Creations Challenges - Embossing
The Crafters café - Anything Goes

2 comments:

Marlene Atkinson said...

A beautiful card. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Creations Challenge. Marlene DT

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at The Crafter's Cafe, good luck!!! Amy DT