Wednesday 3 June 2015

Little ballerina

I'm really not awfully good at cute, girly cards! But I have some lovely Whoopsi Daisy digis that I won in a challenge and I was in the mood for some colouring in, so I decided to have a go at something girly.

I picked out some pretty papers from a Craft Creatives stack and used watercolour pencils to colour the image to match the papers. I've always used watercolour pencils together with a waterbrush, to paint in my chosen areas, but this time I used them like normal pencils, shading as usual, but then lightly wet the tips of the pencils and used them to add strength and depth to some areas of the image. If you look closely, it does look a bit first-attempt-y but I can see where I'm heading and I think it's a technique I'm going to work at as it can give very realistic results.

To assemble the card, the usual girly way would be to use lots of lace, ribbon, doyleys, flowers and delicate die cuts, with white and cream predominant, but I just couldn't go that girly! So I've used bold, uncluttered shapes and lots and lots of BLACK! I rather like the result, I think it allows the prettiness of the image to speak for itself rather then getting lost in frills and fiddly bits.



I'm sharing this with

ATSM - Make Your Mark
Clear it Out challenge - Anything Goes
Use Your Stuff - Stripes and Dots

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely card,cute image Debbs xx

Lori said...

I think you did an awesome job on a girly card and I love the black - really makes everything stand out! Very cute card Thanks for playing along with our dots and stripes challenge this week at Use Your Stuff!
Lori - UYSDT

Lee-Anne said...

So adorable...love that image! What wonderful colors too! So happy you could join us at ATSM!

Lisa Mensing said...

So sweet! Thank you for participating at CIO this week for Anything Goes Challenge. Lisa DT