Wednesday 10 August 2016

Vintage Christmas

Today I have two VERY different cards to share with you - here is the first of them. I've made a very vintage/shabby chic style Christmas card, using a snippet of an old Anna Griffin Christmas paper, distressed around the edge, lightly sponged with Walnut Stain DI and then lightly scribbled with a Tonertex pen before applying gold foil from Foilplay.

Lace, ricrac and a doily, some pearls and a bow add to the vintage effect, but the stars of the show are these two repro miniature postcards from the fabulous Crafthouse Press range, also available from Foilplay, which I've also lightly foiled the edges of.

I added some peel off corners but I'm in two minds about them, I may well peel them off again.

Going back to the bow, does anyone else have one of those bowmakers that looks a bit like an afro comb? I just can't seem to get the knack of mine. When I bought it at the Farnborough show, the man on the stall made it look a doddle. But my bows look as if they've been trampled on by a baby elephant. I recently sat down with a bag of ribbon offcuts and the DVD supplied with it, and spent hours working through the instructions alongside Steph. She was whipping out beautiful creations while I gradually built up a pile of rejected bows..... Do any of you have any great tips, or links to websites or videos, that might help me to get the knack?


I am sharing this, complete with elephant-trampled bow, with
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - Vintage or ATG
Christmas Card Challenges - Photo or ATG
Winter Wonderland - Show us your gold/silver or an embossed background
Lunagirl Moonbeams - Anything Goes

15 comments:

Foil Play said...

Beautiful card, Jane! Love the vintage theme.

Brenda in IN said...

Hi Jane. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'm so jealous you got to meet Darnell and so many others in person! Meeting her is on my bucket list for sure. This is a pretty shabby chic Christmas card. I like the gold ricrac with the lace between. The gold corners pull it altogether. I have one of those bow makers and have never used it. If I go right over left with the ribbon, then left over right the bow comes out okay.

laurie said...

Love your vintage card! Love the touches of gold,too. Thanks for joining us at The Christmas Card Challenge!

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Jane, fabulous vintage images and the gold foil looks gorgeous.
I use one of the bow makers that you are having problems with - I find it works best with seam binding ribbon, I rarely use anything else now.
Pauline
x

Unknown said...

Oh wow I love this vintage Christmas card,the images are fabulous give a really warm Christmas feel love it Debbs xx

Cara said...

A fabulous card, love the foiling. I think the type if ribbon makes all the difference when tying bows. You can guarantee that the ribbon you want to use will be one of those that's a nightmare to tie! Cara x

Anet's Crafting said...

Beautiful Christmas card Jane. Thank you for playing along with our Challenge at Winter Wonderland. We would love to see you again ... Anet DTx

Hazel said...

Thanks for entering your lovely crafting for CHNC challenge 293 – you could also enter this into my CHNC challenge extra for August - I'd love to see it there too x

Rema DeLeeuw said...

Thanks for playing along at Christmas Card Challenges! Your card is awesome.

Margo said...

Lovely vintage creation!
Thanks for playing at CCC🎄

CraftyLyn said...

Lovely card,great use of vintage toppers,thanks for sharing your card with us here at winter wonderland.Lyn DT.

Mandy LaCroix said...

Stunning project! :)
Thanks for sharing it over at Christmas Card Challenges!
(Sorry I'm so behind on commenting!) :)

Dwie lewe rÄ…czki said...

Stunning christmas card. Thank you for sharing it with us at Winter Wonderland.
Hugs, Iwona

Karen Lunagirl said...

Beautiful work! Thank you for joining my August challenge at Lunagirl! ~ Karen

Cards By MI said...

Such stunning card. All goes so well together. Love it. Thanks for joining our challenge over at the Winter Wonderland. On Friday we are back with a new fun challenge.
Love n hugs
Marie