Sunday 14 April 2019

You must be having a giraffe!

(For my readers outside the UK, that's a commonly used phrase here, inspired by Cockney rhyming slang, for "You must be having a laugh" it "You must be joking")

When I was a child and went to the zoo, I never really saw the attraction of giraffes - I think it was because their faces were so very, very far above my head that I couldn't look them in the eye and kid myself that I was interacting with them.  Nowadays many zoos have high-level walkways so that we can see them from their own eye-level and it makes it much easier to feel a connection with them, especially as they often seem to be as curious about us as we are about them.

But there's always one that doesn't feel quite so confident about the humans and hides in the bushes, peering out to see if the coast is clear... this is that giraffe.


I used  a giraffe stamp from Katzelkraft, stamped over the edge of the card, coloured it with pencils then masked it and stamped some leaves around for the part of the bushes behind him.  I stamped more leaves onto spare card and cut them out and arranged them around him to give the impression that he is peeking out from among them, trimming off the ends of the ones that overhung the edge. Finally I added a sentiment from the Tim Holtz Big Talk Snarky sentiments pad. This is the sort of card I would send to a friend who is going through a tough time - we all have "ew, people" days, don't we?

I am sharing this with

Addicted to CAS - Humour 


Just Us Girls - Off the edge



-o0o- 

Next up, using the same giraffe, I went for a complete contrast of style  and raided the snippets box for all kinds of textured and textured-looking materials as well as fifty two shades of green.  Here we have a far  more confident giraffe, happy to be the centre of attention and look you right in the eye.


I stamped the giraffe and sentiment onto pale orange card, and fussy cut the giraffe, adding a touch of white gel pen to his eye. I punched lots of green leaves and distressed the edges of the various layers, then assembled it all and added clear liquid pearls to look like raindrops on the leaves. I've not seen clear liquid pearls before - I got them in Poundland of all places. They give a rounder, more dimensional effect than glossy accents - well, exactly like normal liquid pearls only completely clear.

I am sharing this with

Pixie's Snippets Playground - challenge 350  - everything apart from the bamboo paper came from my snippets box
Creative With Stamps - Birthday 


-o0o- 

And now for the two cards together:



Which of course I am sharing at Twofers - Zoo animals 

21 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Two fabulous cards love the giraffe -great CAS one and love all the texture and leaves on the second one
Carol x

Crafting Queen said...

Two wonderful cards!

Liz said...

Two brilliant giraffe cards, Jane. What a fabulous giraffe stamp! xx

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Two wonderful giraffe cards! Especially love all the texture on card two!!

Dawn Phillips said...

Two brilliant cards. I have to admit to liking the top one best. I often have those sorts of days. Love Dawn x

Janis said...

I saw your card over at CWS....and, since I adore giraffes, I had to come take a closer look. I am tickled to know about this Cockneyism of "having a giraffe"!! I knew they did the rhyming thing, but had not heard this one.
Your cards are totally wonderful. I esp love the second one with all the fab texture!! The burlap, esp, really adds so much.
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

Macimbalo said...

So pretty, love giraffes and your take on the challenge! Thanks so much for sharing at JUGS!

Sue - said...

Ooh clear liquid pearls - great for dew and raindrops. Must have a look next time I’m in town. Love both the cards. Incidentally the zentangle workshop was cancelled - not enough interest!

Leslie Miller said...

You've managed to give that giraffe two completely different personalities and I love it! The sentiment on the first is so funny. That would be perfect for a particular girlfriend of mine who gets so annoyed with people sometimes. The stress of the workplace. I send her humorous cards at work sometimes just to cheer her up. One card is beautifully clean and simple, the other has all the bells and whistles and they're both just wonderful. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer!

Anita in France said...

Hahahahaha ... I laughed out loud at that CAS reserved giraffe, Jane ... what a great description ... and such a brilliant sentiment to go with him! What a different look you gave him on your texture-y, layered, detailed birthday scene ... he's handsome, stylish and looks all ready to party ... brilliant! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

Di said...

I just adore both cards Jane! Clever you and what a wonderful pair for Darnell's challenge, so different yet one main stamp! For one of my special Birthdays Len got a VIP Day at Longleat. It was fabulous - and the highlight was a very young 'Henry The Giraffe' poking his head inside the ranger's vehicle and allowing me to stroke his velvety nose.Apparently his first contact with a human being other than his keepers. Those eyelashes!

Hugs

Di xx

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Both wonderful cards. I really love the first one - love the large leaves that the giraffe is peaking out from behind. The sentiment is hilarious. Thanks so much for playing with us at Addicted To CAS.

Kara Lynne said...

Oh boy, do I have a friend that I could send a card like your first one to right now! How clever to have him peeking from behind the leaves, and such a perfect sentiment! Your second giraffe is so regal and I really love all of the texture! Good to know about the clear liquid pearls. Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

Darnell said...

Oh, well done, Jane, both with your designs and your story-telling! Isn't it amazing how you have altered that lovely creature just by tilting her and adding a dot of white to her eye! That just fascinates me! Both scenes are very cleverly designed and, of course, I love that "ew, people" sediment!! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #15! Hugs, Darnell

Kim Heggins said...

These are both simply amazing. Love your sweet giraffes. Thank you so much for taking the time to play along with us at Creative with Stamps!

Dotty Jo said...

Brilliant! Jo x

Raga Senthil said...

Wow..I just adore both of your cards! Love your sweet and handsome giraffes. Thanks for playing at ATCAS humour challenge.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Well, I just love these cards you made. That giraffe is so great looking on both cards. I love the snarky sentiment on the first one as that made me giggle.

EmmaT said...

2 amazing cards, love the jungle feel of the second one. EmmaT

Kampin' Karen said...

Jane, I love your giraffe. Much more realistic than mine which I posted on CWS #37...that's how I got to your card! Thank you for sharing.

Dorlene Durham said...

Love both cards! My DIL loves giraffes so I see them everywhere. LOL Thanks for joining the challenge at Creative With Stamps. Dorlene DT CWS