Thursday 14 November 2019

A Single Rose

This fortnight's snippets make is centred around a paper gift bag. The stripey side panels were far too good to throw away, so I chopped them off and added them to my snippets box where they have languished ever since.


I had the card all planned in my head - the spotty kraft background made by stencilling ink onto the card then embossing with gold powder, with a strip of stripey paper towards one side and the flower arranged on the strip. But it just didn't look in real life the way it did in my head, so it has evolved.

The rose is stamped on a snippet of jade card and heat embossed in gold. It's a very, very old stamp, at least 20 years, from the now-defunct Raindrops on Roses. However I arranged it on the background, though, it seemed to "melt" into it, so I gave it  bit of contrast by die cutting a small circle from a scrap of white and layering it onto the waste die cut circle from yesterday's kraft card.

I covered half of my stencilled background with the stripey paper then covered the join with sparkly washi tape then matted the whole thing on a scrap of dark blue card because my snippet of jade green had been too small. Finally I added my rose topper and a (very ancient) peel-off sentiment.

So there's LOTS of old stuff been used on this card, isn't it a good thing I hardly ever throw anything away?

I am sharing this with:

Pixie's Snippets Playground - challenge 365 

Retro Rubber - Anything goes 
RRCB 123

The Flower Challenge - add spots or stripes 


Fab'nFunky - add some sparkle

Sweet Stampin - Make your own background

12 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Love the idea of putting the spots on the Kraft card. I hardly ever use kraft card (got stacks of it) for the very reason it is just erm, Kraft coloured card. I feel a spotty day coming on!! Love how this card evolved. Funny how what we see in our mind isn’t dosen’t always equate to seeing with our own eyes.! Hugs Mrs A. P.s. Seeing John Next door tomorrow. Can’t wait.

Chris said...

Fabulous card, the stencilled, embossed background looks gorgeous- and great recycling too!
Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week.
Chris
x

Di said...

Like Mrs A - I love your spotty kraft card area on this great card. Looks stunning and the whole card is a real delight.

Hugs

Di xx

Dawn Phillips said...

I'm glad I am not the only one to save bits and pieces. You have made good use of them. Love Dawn x

Jan Clothier said...

All the gold elements add a lovely elegance to your card. I like the contrast of the dots and stripes. Thanks for joining in with us at Retro Rubber Challenge.

Liz said...

A lovely design, Jane and just goes to show it's pays to hang on to crafty bits and pieces. xx

Sammy said...

This is really lovely, You're right, those stripes are gorgeous and so worth hanging on to! Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week. Sammy-x

Dawn T said...

totally amazing background. Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin 'this week.

Wendy said...

Beautiful card...Thanks for joining us at Fab’n’funky:)
Wendy xx

Karen Letchworth said...

This is gorgeous! I love your creative use of snippets/scraps and how you put it all together so beautifully. Thanks for sharing in the Snippets Playground, and please join us again soon.

I also run a challenge blog, Word Art Wednesday. My challenges are always Anything Goes/Family Friendly, and we have AWESOME prizes from our wonderful sponsors. I really hope you will come play along with us there as well. I'd love seeing more of your wonderful art. Here's the link:
www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Karen Letchworth

Viv said...

Such a beautiful card, lovely flower and spots/stripes too. Thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge' ;) Viv DT xx

Cara said...

I love the colours you’ve used and top marks for including both dots and stripes! Thanks for joining us this month at The Flower Challenge, hope to see you next month too. Cara DT x