Sunday 22 July 2018

Out of this world

It's snippets day over at the Playground today, and so I would be ready for it I spent yesterday afternoon creating the background  for this card, as it needed a couple of drying sessions.


I took a slightly-larger-than needed snippet of dark blue card (so I would be able to pick the best bit - spraying is never 100% predictable) and sprayed it with cheap bleach, then left it to dry. You never know what you are going to end up with when you try bleach on an unfamiliar cardstock - I got the mauvey-pink specks and spots you can see in the background. When that was dry, I sprayed it again, this time with gold mica powder shaken up in water which has given not only the golden spots but a pretty golden sheen to the whole card that doesn't show in the photo.

Once everything was completely dry, I used a stitched squares die to cut out the best area, then went around the stitching with a silver sparkle gel pen to emphasise it. I cut the larger square from a snippet of gold card and the space ship and planet from snippets of silver.

Finally I used gold Delicata ink to stamp the sentiment star - an old Debbi Moore stamp - on a scrap of white card. The words appear in white but against the gold silhouette they didn't show up too well so I filled in the while letters with a fineliner pen.

I am sharing this with
Pixie's Snippets Playground
Little Red Wagon - Off, Off and Away!  
Mix It Up - anything goes & mixed media

4 comments:

Liz said...

Great background for your little space scene, Jane. I've never thought of using bleach to make a background, but the result is so effective. xx

Lisa Bird said...

I love the background Jane, I have never made my own background. It works perfectly with the spacecraft.
Best Wishes
Lisa xx
craftycard-designs.co.uk

Kate said...

Such a fun card! The wonky edges are a super touch and I love the look of the bleached background is fabulous!!

Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon this week!

Kate
<a

Di said...

Brilliant card Jane and I do love the background. I can't be trusted with things like bleach sadly - it's a great technique!

Hugs

Di xx