Sunday 4 April 2021

Guest Designer at Stamping Sensations

 I'm delighted to have been invited to be guest designer this month at Stamping Sensations.  The theme is Fantasy Worlds and/or Magical Scenes, and they want us to be creative. 

I decided the most magical world I can create is one using my encaustic waxes, so I dusted them off - it's a couple of years since I used them - for this card. 


First of all I stamped the silhouette fairy using Stazon ink on glossy encaustic paining card.  The ink needs to be Stazon in order to dry properly on the card, not smudge when the wax is applied and to show through the wax. I used the same ink to stamp a border of flowers and grasses, but you can't really see them because I added so much other detail! 

To make the encaustic design, I used clear wax in the centre of the iron and then purple and blue out towards the sides, then swooped the iron up the card at a slight angle to make it look as if the fairy is spotlighted by a moonbeam. Then I used a deep turquoise ink to create suction patterns along the bottom of the card. Finally I used the edge of the iron to pull up tapering lines of wax to look like ethereal plants. 

I polished the finished wax painting with a tissue then added glitter glue in purple and turquoise  to be magical fairy dust. 

If you would like to know more about encaustic painting, there are lots of videos on You Tube. I learned what I know, many years ago, from videos I found at Arts Encaustic - now called Encaustic.com   where I buy my papers and waxes. They have lots of tips, videos and a gallery full of inspiration on the site. 

I am sharing this with A Bit More Time to Craft Extra - Anything Goes 


3 comments:

Crafting Queen said...

Beautiful card, love the background you created. Happy Easter. Anesha

brenda said...

I'm totally blown away by the magic of the encaustic wax background Jane, such a perfect card for our April theme.

My thanks for being our Guest Designer at Stamping Sensations this month and providing some super inspiration.

B x

Linby said...

Encaustic art must be the one thing I have never tried! Your card looks amazing. Thanks for being our GDT at Stamping Sensations.