Sunday 17 April 2016

It ain't necessarily so.....

Let me set the scene. Whenever anybody is particularly unlucky, Mark refers to them as a "Jonah". Well, I suppose getting swallowed by a whale is a particularly unlucky thing to happen to somebody, isn't it.

And when I printed out this glum-looking Grumps image from the  CD The Best of La Pashe 2014 I immediately thought he looked like a proper Jonah.  At the time, the rain was torrential and it was easy (well, easy for MY imagination) to imagine our rivers getting so swollen that an unsuspecting river angler might find himself swallowed up by a whale that had swum off course.

So I raided my snippets box for all kinds of blued and greys and die cut some waves and a whale, using dies from the X-cut Build a Scene Pirate Ship set that I won a while back in the Playground. I livened up the die cuts a bit by sponging on inks in greys, blues and white. I finished the image with Wink of Stella which as usual you can't see, to make the rain glisten.


I am sharing this with

Cuttlebugmania - Rain
Suzy Bee's Blooming Challenge - Make it Male
Pixie's Snippets Playground - week 225 (all the layering and die cutting was done with snippets)

Oh, and the title? It comes from the way my brain tends to play "musical word association"  - every time I see the world "whale" I start to hum the bit about Jonah living in a whale, from the song "It ain't necessarily so"  from Gershwin's Porgy and Bess.

7 comments:

Barb said...

A fantastic card. Great humour in this card. The colours look great too. Barbxx

Cara said...

And that is why fishing doesn't appeal to me! Well that and the having to handle fish bit. Hubby laughs as I won't have anything in our fish tank that grows bigger than 4cm cos they scare me! Love the card. Cara x

Darnell said...

You know if your imagination and my imagination got together we could be filthy rich, Jane!! The story, the card, the smile on my face ... what a fabulous visit I've had!! The cranberry-infused wodka went down a treat, too! Mwah!! Hugs, Darnell

Monika Reeck said...

sooo coool
so manly and nice sentiment too
you are so great too at making manly cards Jane
love this

Elizabeth Hart said...

This is a fabulous card - love how the rain looks so realistic. Thanks so much for joining us this time at the Suzy Bee's Bloomin' Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

Di said...

Great card Jane! That guy looks a teensy bit fed up - great to see the Pirate Ship die set coming in handy again :)

Sorry I'm a bit late commenting - been busy sweeping up all the empty crisp packets and bottles in the Playground :)

Hugs

Di xx

Swissie said...

A funny and very "rainy" card. Great!
Thank you for joining Cuttlebug Mania this time!
Swissie DT