Thursday 1 September 2016

Christmas Music

Just as I like to make Christmas cards all through the year, I like to sing Christmas songs all year round too - you can often hear me belting out "Frosty the snowman" on a scorching hot July day (or at least you would if we ever had any).

So here is a card that pays tribute to my love of Christmas music. The musical panel is embossed with a Darice folder and then brayered with blue ink (the large smooth areas picked up ink too - this wasn't the best choice of folder for brayering but it gives the card more colour!). I don't know whether it is a Christmas tune or not - 40 years ago I could sight sing and would have been able to work out the tune in my head, but I'm so out of practice now I would need to pick it out one note at a time on a keyboard to have any idea of the tune.

The sentiment is an Anna Griffin one and the background layer made by stamping musical notes and treble clefs from a Kanban set randomly over the card. Each layer has been matted with matching card, then arranged with a few die cut snowflakes. The snowflake has a rather odd looking open centre that I like to fill rather like a flower centre. I wanted the card to be quite a masculine one so I decided to use Candi instead of pearls or gems - but I didn't have any the right colour, so I used my Promarkers to colour some white Candi.


I am sharing this with
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - use a sentiment 
Inkspirational - Primary Colours
Jingle Belles - Music 
The Male Room - Music
C.R.A.F.T - Embossing

12 comments:

cotnob said...

A lovely bright Christmas card Jane, a fabulous musical theme.
Pauline
x
My Personal Blog: Crafting with Cotnob

Barb said...

A lovely and very different Christmas card Jane. I really like it. Barbxx

SmilynStef said...

How fun are those primary colors ... love the music in blue ... so glad you got musical with us at jingle belles.

Rocky said...

Great bright colours on this fab Christmas card, thank you for joining in with our music challenge at TMR.

Hazel said...

Thanks for entering your lovely crafting for CHNC challenge 296 – you could also enter this into my CHNC challenge extra for September - I'd love to see it there too x

Marina said...

I like the unusual colour combo for Christmas! Like you, I make Christmas cards all year and often catch myself singing Christmas songs!
Thank you for joining us at Inkspirational Challenges. Come back next time!

lauren bergold said...

oh that's so incredibly fun! what a cool holiday card, i love the primary colors, definitely eye-catching and you've chosen just the right stamps as well! thanks for singing along with us at JINGLE BELLES! ♥

Jean said...

Loving the colours on this card, great embossing.
Thanks for entering our challenge over at CRAFT. Hope to see you again.
Jean DT XXX

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Great card, love the colours and the music EF. Could be Jingle Bells for all I know LOL. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room.
Faith DT

Deborah Frings said...

Super bold colours and I do like the embossed texture. Nice take on the challenge theme. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room this week! Deborah, DT.

Shawna said...

I disagree with you on your choice of inking the embossing folder. I think it looks great, it is full of texture and movement.. Without the color it wouldn't be as interesting or dynamic.. I think it is an excellent choice and an excellent choice for our music theme at The Male Room.. Thank you for joining us.
Cyber Hugs,
Shawna DT

Andreja said...

What a beautiful music card you made. Thank you so much for joining us at The Male Room!
Hugs, Andreja