Friday 2 September 2016

Regal peacock

There are a couple of challenges around at the moment that ask us to use a technique we've not tried before. Oh dear, I didn't think I was going to be able to enter, because being a bit of a dabbler, I thought I'd tried just about everything.

Then this morning when I was reading this week's "Friday Die Day" post at Creativity Continues, I saw that Christine had used a die to emboss without cutting - something I'd never tried before! So I used her idea of using the embossed die to create a background. I used a large Spellbinders medallion die (sorry, I can't remember the name) with the centre section removed, and made up my embossing sandwich just as I would have done if I'd already cut it, and then ran it through the Grand Calibur.

As a topper, I sponged ink (from several different Kaleidacolour pads, as they happened to be the shades I wanted) over a scrap of white card and then die cut the peacock which was a magazine freebie die a few months ago.


A hint of matting and some liquid pearls added the finishing touches.

I am sharing this with:

AAA Cards - New to you technique

Shopping Our Stash - Learn Something New
House of Cards - add a bird or colour challenge

17 comments:

Maria Rodriguez. said...

WOW!! I love the results of embossing with a die on your card, how gorgeous this design looks!!! And your Peacock's colors are amazing, yeah!! for freebies!!!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful card with us at SHOPPING OUR STASH, hope you play again soon.
Hugs,
Maria Rodriguez.

Hope and Chances said...

Looks wonderful, so glad you enjoyed the technique.

Christine x

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Wow! Spectacular embossing (de-bossing), super CAS and super vibrant.
Love your technique Jane and thanks for playing along at AAA Cards this week.
Sarah

Jane said...

Don't think I've ever tried this technique either, looks very effective and makes a super backdrop for your gorgeous peacock. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

Glittered Paws said...

Beautiful peacock and love how you colored your white cs and then die cut. Thanks for joining us at the House of Cards this month. Shirley H.

scrapper said...

Lovely card Jane - must try that embossing technique

Anonymous said...

beautiful! the embossing really pops the peacock - love the colours you've used! thank you so much for playing along with us at house of cards!
linda

Mynn xx said...

Jane, this is gorgeous! I LOVE this vibrant image popping off the white cut background! What a fabulous card! Thank you for joining us at House of Cards! Sending HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Chris Dring said...

I'm so trying this now. Your card looks AMAZING!! Love the peacock die cut in the center of the embossed medallion dies! Thanks for joining the fun at Shopping Our Stash!

Barbara Godden said...

Love it, fabulous job love the colours of the peacock. (I just tried this technique myself on a wedding card) Thanks for playing along with us at Shopping our Stash.

Coralynn Murray said...

Wonderful card design and I love how the embossing in the background turned out. I love the technique but don't often think of using it. Thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards!

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

Wow! That peacock is awesome! What a beautiful card! That technique is very cool and I shall be CASing it very soon!! Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash! Cyndi, DT

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

That's CASEing by the way! Yes, I plan on copying and stealing everything!

Trina P. said...

I came from AAA because that peacock looks amazing. Thought you had entered this in the LIM challenge too, which was the peacock feathers color challenge. The dry embossing is a lovely backdrop for the beautifully colored peacock.

Jane Knudsen said...

Hi Jane! What a beautiful card! I love the technique that you used and you did a great job with that! Lovely coloring on the peacock and great little touches with the bling! Thanks for playing along with us at House of Cards

Leslie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the House of Cards "Add A Bird and/or Colors" challenge!
Hugs,
Leslie, HOC DT
Love To Scrap!
Love To Scrap Challenge Blog DT
Love To Craft Challenge Blog DT
House of Cards DT
Crafty Friends DT
My Crafting Stories DT
Creatalicious Challenges DT
Let's Craft and Create DT

Unknown said...

Beautiful card! I love how you added the embossed background for the bird along with your CAS design.
Thank you for joining our Challenge at the House of Cards. Ruza, HOC-Designer
Ruza's Craft Corner