Thursday 10 December 2015

Naughty or nice?

Hello everyone, I'm back from a wonderful holiday in Mexico - I'll be posting about it and sharing some photos very soon. But for today, I want to share a card that I couldn't resist making! Just as we were packing to leave, I saw that the challenge at Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers this fortnight is "Naughty Christmas" and I couldn't wait to get started. I have several festive digis from Bugaboo designs that I hadn't even unzipped, and I knew they would all be perfect for the challenge, so while poor Mark was cramming my flip flops into the suitcase, I was busy printing them out ready to get colouring as soon as I got home.

Now we come to the reason those digis had remained unzipped. I am utterly rubbish at colouring them in. My first attempt was with a Stella image, great fun but I tried to colour it with Promarkers. The printing ink bled into the marker ink and poor Stella ended up with a pale green face, looking rather like Shrek with a hangover. Not really the naughty effect I'd hoped to create!

So I moved onto the second image I'd printed, JJ Christmas Cheers, and coloured her in with water based markers. The problem I had here was that the nearest I could find to a skin tone among my markers is this dark flesh, a colour I can only think of as TOWIE (if you are outside the UK, you may not understand the reference - TOWIE is a TV show called "The Only Way Is Essex" that features some remarkably orange fake tans). But actually, the overdone spray tan look turns out  to be ideal for this image! Even the streaks, from using water based markers, are realistic.

The sentiment is  stamped from my current favourite Dylusions Christmas sentiments sheet - I don't know how I made Christmas cards without it! The borders and corners are from an ancient set of peel offs and the sparkly hearts left over from a project I made a few weeks ago and forgot to photograph before sending it to a friend. The backing paper is from docrafts.


I'm sharing this with

Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers - Naughty Christmas
Crafting Musketeers - Use a Sentiment
Clear it out - Anything Goes
Crafty Gals Corner - Anything Goes  
Glitter and Sparkle - Anything Goes

8 comments:

Donna said...

Fantastic!! So glad you got the chance to play along...he he he even though I live in Canada, I have cousins in Essex so I know what TOWIE is...LOL...you are right the tan is perfect!!
Thanks for joining the sisterhood for Naughty Christmas!!

Barbara Godden said...

I love Bugaboo images, some border on riske' Awesome card, love the borders and sketch. Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood for the Naughty Christmas challenge. Thanks for stopping by my blog too, sorry to hear you lost your stamp, that is just rude on her part.

Barb said...

A great fun card Jane. She looks as if she's had a good time. Look forward to seeing your holiday pics. Barbxx

Chris Dring said...

I don't know what I like more, your card or your story about how it was eventually made! Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!
P.S. I don't color many digi stamps (although I have dozens of them!) What I find helpful is after printing them out, I heat set them with my heat gun (I bake them, but don't burn them. LOL!) Also, a light spritz with hair spray seems to help too. Just wait until the paper is completely dry before you start coloring.

Lisa Mensing said...

LOL! Fun card! Thank you for playing along at Clear It Out's Anything Goes Challenge. Lisa DT

Marjeta said...

I will say both of them. Naughty and nice. Love this stamp and your gorgeous card.

Marjeta

Lisa Mensing said...

Funny! Love the sentiment with that image. Thank you for playing along at Crafty Gals Corner Anything Goes Challenge. Lisa DT

Marlena M. said...

This is too cute!!! ;)