Sunday 23 February 2020

Sending Joy

On Friday I had a lovely day at the Create It! Show in Farnborough. The demos and samples are always an inspiration and I was particularly taken with the amount of foiling that was going on; it's great to see it being revived and I really had to dig out my foils as soon as I got home.


I decided to cut the snowflake from masking paper and use the negative as a stencil, apply glue through it and then foil the image left behind when I removed the stencil. Well..... now I know why it isn't a Thing. The glue made the stencil paper go soggy and with white glue, white card and white stencil paper I couldn't see which was which. It took me about an hour with tweezers and a pokey tool  to get rid of all the soggy bits of stencil. Then I left the glue to finish drying and applied a silver/interference effect foil.

I die cut the word "Joy" once in purple and once in white, and planned to attach it, purple-white-purple, just like that, but the letters looked rather flat, so I livened them up by stamping a teeny tiny snowflake cluster all over them. Of course it would have been easier to stamp the card before die cutting but at that point I hadn't realised I was going to be stamping it. 

Anyway, after overcoming the various setbacks, here is the finished card, angled to show you the fabulous sheen from the foil.


I am sharing this with:

52 Christmas Card Throwdown - Foil 


Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - anything goes

CAS Mix Up - Stencil from die cuts (I've used stamping, stencil from die cuts, foil and die cutting)


CAS Christmas - Joy 


CAS Stencil - Foil 

16 comments:

Kathyk said...

FAB make to add to your 2020 Christmas card quota, love that you used the snowflake for your "O"

Happy Sunday - hope you aren't too blown away with today's weather

Kathyk

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A beautiful card Jane. I was at Farnborough on Friday too, we could have met up of we had known

Sue xx

Sue - said...

Definitely worth the effort Jane! Nice to have a chat with you there as well.

Barbara Godden said...

With all your setbacks (I would have ditched it) the finished product is fabulous.

Dotty Jo said...

Looks great! Jo x

nancy littrell said...

Yes, foiling has its challenges, but the outcome is always so pretty and shiny:-) So pleased you persevered, Jane. Your foiled snowflake is Gorgeous and Love your die cut purple letters to make your very creative JOY card. TFS with us at CAS Stencil...Hugs..Nancy

Christine Alexander said...

Great layout and love your foiled snowflake background and your stamped letters. thanks for joining us at CAS Christmas :)

Loll said...

Sounds like a lot of work to make this card Jane ... but so happy you persevered! It's really gorgeous. Love the foiling and pressy white snowflake. The stamping on the letters turned out so well! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up, CAS Christmas, and CAS Stencil!

Papercraft Boutique said...

You did a wonderful job of combining all these CAS Challenges, Jane! The card is so pretty and shiny and it was worth the time and effort! Layering the die-cut snowflake over the foiled one is a fabulous idea, and stamping the letters turned out great.
Thank you so much for sharing this beauty with us at CAS Mix Up!
Hideko xx

Julia Aston said...

Love the gold foil with the purple letters - a lovely layered design Jane - thanks for joining us at CAS Stencil!

Jo said...

This beautiful Christmas card truly packs a punch. Worth all the hard work. Love it!
Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up!

Crafting Queen said...

Lovely card, love the foil detail.

Rosmarie said...

Wow, Jane, you did a great job with our foiling technique!! I must admit, I had a lot of trouble with that too, but you and I have found a solution, and that is the main thing! Thank you very much for playing along with us on 52CCT this week! Rosi x

Bonnie said...

Wow! That foiled snowflake is awesome, Jane! I love how you've stamped the tiny snowflakes over the letters! It adds wonderful interest! An altogether fantastic card! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up and CAS Christmas!

Andreja said...

WoW, what a fantastic use of foil :-)) I like your card and snowflake is so beatufiful.
Thanks so much for sharing with us at 52CCT!

Suze said...

I hate it when things don't go to plan. I like that you persisted with it though as the sheen on the foiling looks great. Thank you for joining the Anything Christmas Challenge (with twist of Use Some Green) at CHNC.