Tuesday 18 August 2020

Sun and Moon

This month's Twofer challenge is Sun/Moon  so rather than choosing one or the other I dug out this ancient (at least 20 years old, could be nearer 25) sun/moon stamp, an unmounted one from my grab-bag buying days.


For my first card, I have really treated the image as if it is just a sun.


I stamped and heat embossed it with black ink and powder onto a deep paprika coloured metal sheet, being careful to use an anti-static pad first as the powder sticks like billy-oh if it finds the tiniest scrap of static. I used a small embossing tool to run around the edge of the image and fill in those rosy cheeks, then I turned it to the back and doodled in rays, and also went over the cheeks again so they are rounded outwards. 

I made a pale blue card blank and cut an aperture in it, then stamped the two sentiments (from a Rubber Dance chilli themed set) randomly over it. Stuck the image behind the aperture and for neatness covered the inside of the card, back and front, with white card to leave no harsh metal edges exposed. 

My second card treats the two halves as sun and moon, as they were intended. 


I took the square I had die cut from the first card to make the aperture, and stamped the sentiment all round the edges, using the Misti to make sure it was correctly lined up. Then I stamped, heat embossed and coloured the image and added it to the centre of the square. I attached the whole thing to a pink card blank then stamped corners all around and finished them with a teardrop shaped gem. 


I am playing along with this month's Sun/Moon challenge at Twofers. 


7 comments:

scrappymo! said...

They both look great. I never noticed when I looked at the first one that it had the sun/moon combo on the stamp!

Crafting Queen said...

two great cards.

Mrs A. said...

They look sooooo different. I like them both but the first card just has the edge for me. Hugs Mrs A.

Darnell said...

That first card is truly sizzling hot, Jane, and the sediment is perfect! And I love the angle of your sun/moon circle inside the diamond with the sediment all around and those details on the corners! Great coloring! Thank you so much for playing Twofer Card Challenge #30! Keep well! Hugs, Darnell

Sue - said...

Two very clever cards for Twofer Jane. Your stamp was just perfect for it!

Happy Dance said...

Hooray for ancient stamps, Jane! This one is a knock-out, what an incredible image! I'm really impressed (no pun intended, lol) by your use of the gorgeous paprika-colored metal sheet. Not only did you heat emboss it, you've added so much depth with the rays and cheeks. Very cool! The sun/moon image is really highlighted by just using the stamp as is, and it's colored beautifully! Great cards. Thank you so much for joining us at The Twofer Challenge. Bev

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

What a fabulous image of sun/moon and you used it so cleverly in both cards, Jane!! Especially love the stamping on the metal - you're so brave to do it; I'd have ep everywhere even with a powder bag! Great coloring on card two!!