Friday 27 November 2020

Fishing village

 I've spent ages trying to work out where this scene is meant to be - it reminds me so much of Mousehole in Cornwall, but the fishing boat has a WY registration, which stands for Whitby, in Yorkshire. Yet the stonework on the buildings looks as if it's the Cotswolds - which has no coastline! So I think it's just a general purpose English fishing village. 

Wherever it is - or indeed isn't - the decoupage and sentiment were printed from that faithful old workhorse of a CD, The best of La Pashe 2012. I wonder how many times i have used that over the years? 


That background is the result of a failed experiment. I sprayed a square of card with orange and brown distress effects,  then tried to get a crumbling brickwork effect by applying crackle glaze through a brick wall stencil and leaving it to dry. However when dried, the glaze just fell off, taking most of the ink with it. I do like the effect it created, although I'm sure there's a more straightforward way of creating something similar. Anyway, it makes a good background for the image, so it wasn't wasted. 

I am sharing this with The CD Sunday Plus Challenge, where as usual the theme is Anything Goes 


9 comments:

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

This is a fabulous card Jane. It's Robin Hood's Bay, which isn't too far from Whitby. It's very scenic and I can see why it reminds you of Cornwall x

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous scene and as for your background I noticed that first and thought it was a brilliant effect
carol x

Crafting Queen said...

Lovely card and great background.

Liz said...

Defintely Robin Hood Bay, Jane. We were there a couple of years ago. A really lovely card.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood%27s_Bay#/media/File:Robin_Hood's_Bay_-_geograph.org.uk_-_449087.jpg

Pamela said...

Jane you may consider your background a disaster but I love it - you can see that it's meant to be a brick wall. A great card as always.
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Seafield Jo said...

You've created a great background which works brilliantly with yoyr chosrn image. It makes me want to go on holiday.

Thanks for sharing your lovely card with us.

Jo
CD Sunday Plus DT

Margarets designer cards said...

Your disaster was not a disaster, it made a beautiful background which complements the card so well. Beautiful image and beautifully coloured
Thank you for joining us
Margaret
CD Sunday Plus DT

Jocelyn said...

Sometimes the best effects come from a 'mistake'. What you have created works really well. That village scene reminds me of the TV programme 'Doc Martin'. All in all a lovely card. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday Plus DT

Carol said...

As a fellow lover, user and admirer of all things La Pashe I know what you mean about where it might be meant to be.
I can only admire your background making attempts as I wouldn't know where to start.
Love the card.
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus DT