Sunday 10 January 2021

Making music with the Playground

 Last week, Di from Pixie's Crafty Workshop promised that there were going to be some surprises in the playground, and the first surprise is.... ME!!! 

The Snippets Playground is a fortnightly challenge where the theme is always anything goes, but your make MUST include some of your scraps and snippets - those leftover pieces of card (or fabric, or even ribbon) that were just too good to throw away and then hang around for ages looking accusingly at you whenever you open the box or basket where they live. My snippets basket is overflowing, even though I keep it right beside me and always check it first before snipping into a new sheet of card. 

Anyway, this fortnight I've donated a prize to the Snippets Playground of this stamp set: 


It's a Hunkydory set called Retro Mix Tape, and as I had a duplicate set, I'm giving away this unopened one as this fortnight's snippets prize and have used my other set to create the sample card. 


First of all I created a DL sized card. I used an A4 sheet of white card and my Universal scoring board, scoring at the one-third A4 line. I creased the card then cut off the part that stuck out, which of course was the same size as the card front, and trimmed off 1cm from one each of the long and short edges of this extra panel to use as the topper. 

Next I took a snippet of red, the same length as the trimmed piece of card, and stamped the "noise" pattern along it then trimmed it to the width of the stamped area, I stamped the cassette on a white snippet using Memento Tuxedo Black, coloured it with Promarkers and fussy cut. 

Then I put the white panel in the Misti and placed the red strip and cassette on it where I wanted them to go on the finished card, without sticking them down. I positioned the sentiment stamps while the strip and cassette were in place. This was a bit fiddly: the sentiment appears to be intended to be used to say "Rock classic" as the R has a capital but the C doesn't, but as I know so many people who say they love classic rock, I wanted to use them the other way round. I think the C is ornate enough to get away with it! Also, the word Classic is longer than the word Rock, so although I'd intended to centre the cassette, I had to move it slightly to the right for the stamping to fit. Before doing anything else, I grabbed my phone and took a snap to remind me of the exact positioning I had decided on. 

Before stamping the words with black Versafine ink, I removed the cassette and strip, knowing I could check the photo and reposition them later.  Next I took a snippet of black card, dusted it with my anti static pad and stamped and heat embossed the control buttons, using WOW! embossing pad and Opaque Bright White powder, then cut them out. 

I  stuck the red strip in place and matted the panel onto black card then onto the base card, then used foam pads to attach the cassette and control buttons. I have tried to position the control buttons to fool the eye into thinking the red strip each side of the cassette is the same length, to offset the fact I had to position the cassette slightly off-centre. 

I think this stamp set would be perfect for making masculine cards, especially for older generations.  And the cassette label is just crying out for personalisation - ideal for adding a name, age, sentiment or the title of a favourite piece of music. If you'd like a chance to add it to your stash, head over to the Playground - you have until noon on January 23rd to link up a snippets creation of your own. 


25 comments:

Karenladd said...

Oh, I just love this card and was tickled when I saw it at the Playground. I am definitely in the Oldie but Goodies stage of life, so the cassette design caught my eye immediately. Thank you so much for being a guest designer and offering up this lovely prize. You ROCKED this challenge! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Sarn said...

. . . And what a lovely first surprise you are Jane. Super card . . . Perfect for anyone my age or above!!!! Great stamp set.

Congratulations on being the first GD of the Playground.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Aquarius said...

Great to see you as the first of the new style Snippets challenge volunteers and with such a super prize and card. Just right for rockers old and young but I guess some of the younger ones probably wouldn't recognise a cassette and would need it explained to them LOL 😊

Sandra H said...

Congratulations on being Di's first Guest Designer for snippets challenge your card and stamp set are gorgeous xx

Linby said...

What a surprise, congratulations. It's a fab card and relevant even for youngsters as many bands are now releasing tgeir music on cassettes again, albeit in limited numbers!

ionabunny said...

Gorgeous card. Love the stamped red scrap and the cute buttons. Obviously showing my age cos this brings back memories LOL. Thanks for supplying this lovely prize for the snippets playground. Hugz

Helen said...

Congrats on being the first surprise guest designer in the playground Jane!
Love your card - cassette tapes are back in fashion these days too, so not just good for cards for 'oldies'!
Helen x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Your card is so cute! Nice slimline style! I still have a lot of cassettes and a couple cassette players - maybe they will come back in style haha, I doubt it! This is a fabby prize - thank you so much and congrats on your Guest Designer feature!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Congrats for being the first Di's surprise! :D Your card is super, so fun and nostalgic (for me, sigh)
Loved reading your steps. I too make a shot to remember my decisions about positioning the pieces!

Suzanne H said...

How cute is your card. I know this would be great for my husband who has quite a collection of cassette tapes with nothing to play them on. One of our first dates was to this store called "The Store" that sold all kinds of used stuff and he bought me a cassette player to hook into my stereo. Your card brought back that sweet memory.

Valerija said...

Congratulations on your GD. Wonderful card.

roffeycreations said...

What a funky retro card - so many wouldn't even know what this is LOL!
The memories - all it needs is a pencil and it would be the complete package!
See you again I am sure - Cheers Maurs xxx

Mariann Jakobsen said...

WOWSA! LOVE this card!!! Love the colors you've chosen. This brings back memories LOL. Thanks for supplying this lovely prize for the snippets playground. I have to give it a try :)
Wish you all the best! Hugs

Janis said...

Thank you, Jane, for Guest Designing at the Playground and offering this groovy prize!! Well, not really groovy...that would be for LPs, right? :) Perhaps, "Far out". That was the "cool" word of that day, if I recall correctly. Your card is brilliant...and just perfect in the slimline design. I love the ends of the sentiment words that look like the loose coils of the tape after it has been eaten! lol...
Thank you for sharing!!
Stay healthy and creative!!
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

Lynne said...

Just popped over from the Playground. Your card is lovely Jane, a proper retro feel and great colour choice. Cassettes were so annoying when they got taffled up weren't they? Congrats on being the first GD x

NanaConnie said...

Jane, This is such a fantastic card! It was wonderful to see it over at the Snippets Playground and thank you for donating the prize. Love the set of stamps. I'm definitely old enough to remember playing cassette tapes and even more, remembering when they were the "latest" thing for music, quickly replacing 8 tracks and vinyl records! lol

KathyA. said...

Jane... this set makes me smile. I love the lettering, which reminds me of all the tapes that either broke or got snagged and unraveled. Seeing them along the road was common... just like the 8-track tapes that preceded them! Your card is stellar. (Oh and congrats for being Di's first Guest DT!) Kathy A from myasperations.blogspot.com

Di said...

Hi Jane! Your card and prize are certainly stirring up a lot of memories for playmates. I did smile when Maureen said all that was missing was a pencil. I think your original card had a pencil on it if I remember rightly!

Hugs

Di xx

Sue - said...

Great card Jane and good to see you being one of Di’s helpers! It’s not that long ago that I got rid of my cassettes!

Darnell said...

I love it, Jane! As would most seniors who once owned many, many cassette tapes! You put a lot of effort into your design and it turned out perfectly! Thank you so much for guest hosting at Pixie's and generously offering a prize to help Di out! Hugs, Darnell

Carol L said...

It's fun to see one of your cards on display over at the Playground! Congrats on being the first to welcome in the change!! As I stated in my playground comment, I still have a few of my relic cassettes as my 19 yr-old car has both a CD and Cassette player! I love this retro visit back to when times were so good for all of us. Fun card!

Susan Renshaw said...

Thank you for being Di's first guest designer - and very kind of you to offer a Prize!

Love your classic card!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Love your card and generosity! Great set for an older music lover definitely! Even younger ones as well. xoxo

LesleyG said...

I just love your card Jane, and what a fabulous prize.. I know so many people this would work for, so I may have to seek one out if I’m not lucky this time. Take care xxx

Craftychris said...

Absolutely cool card! I love it. Thank you for donating the stamp set to the Playground, so generous - I have played and have my fingers crossed! Take care and stay safe. xxx