Monday 11 January 2021

Night Bus

 London's night bus service is iconic, although I can't say I've had a lot of luck on the odd occasions I've tried to use it. Nevertheless, the idea of a moonlight bus ride past our iconic sights is quite romantic, isn't it? 


For this card I stamped the city skyline using a Clearly Besotted stamp, then stamped it again onto masking paper, cut it out and used it to mask the image. I also masked off the rest of the card, leaving a rectangle around the image, and sponged dark blue ink over the space. 

Then it all started to go a bit pear shaped. I wanted to make the night sky by spattering dilute white gesso, but it's only the second time I've done any spattering and I think I didn't dilute the gesso enough because I got lots of blobby bits. One of them was so big that I teased it outwards a bit with a paintbrush and made it into a moon. I think the rest are too big to be stars, so lets' pretend I'd intended it to be a heavy snowstorm. It looks as if the snow is really building up on the turrets of Tower Bridge! 

Before the spattering, I'd intended adding some shading to the buildings but now they are in a snowstorm, I think they are better left white - the glare from freshly fallen thick snow often gives buildings a flat, shadowless look, so I left them white. 

The London bus is cut with an X-Cut die from their London Build-a-Scene set. 

I am sharing this with

Time Out Challenges - Life in the City  (I've also used sponging) 


Alphabet Challenge - Traffic 


Inkspirational - Mask 

Craft Rocket Challenge - For the boys/men 




16 comments:

Crafting Queen said...

Your card works really well, great design. Anesha x

Marlena M. said...

I've had the pleasure of visiting London once and it was one of my favorite travels! Love your snowy night sky; the gesso texture is amazing Jane! Thank you for joining us at INkspirational~

sandie said...

Jane-love it!! I have caught the N19 a few times many moons ago but have to say too many glasses of wine drank to enjoy the scenery! I like the gesso and it was a super idea to make one the moon and also to leave the cityscape white. Perfect placement of the bus. And yep....I love London! Thanks for joining Time Out x

Pia S said...

I think your London winter sky at night turned out beautiful! Brilliant masking and love the addition of the bus, it fits the scene and also adds a nice splash of color. Thanks for sharing this with us at Inkspirational.

Karenladd said...

This card turned out beautifully, in spite of your frustration at the way the splatters of gesso turned out. I've been wondering how best to try splatters for a night sky and have to admit that I hadn't considered diluted gesso. Now I want to pull out my jar of gesso and experiment a bit. That London winter scene with the red bus is just delightful!

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful nightscape, Jane! Your masking is spot on! We saw some huge snowflakes last week and these remind me of them! They were awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Melanie Hungerford said...

I love this card, I have been to London twice and I think it is my most favorite place I've ever traveled to. I love the bus and the way you placed it in front of the skyline. You have shown your creativity with the splatters, you made them work well even if not what you intended!
Thank you for sharing with us at the Alphabet Challenge.

HilaryJane said...

What a gorgeous card, I love all the little details including your unintentionally snowy splatters. The good thing about using gesso for splatters is its whiteness. Thanks so much for joining us at CAS Mix Up this month xx

Leslie Miller said...

I think it looks beautiful as a snow scene. We don't get much of it here, so it's enchanting to my eyes. Splatters can be finicky. Love the red bus. Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up!

Karen Letchworth said...

I love this. Red double decker bus is SO iconic. Another classic I love to see is the red phone booth. Very cool, and super creative as well.
Blessings,
Karen L
Word Art Wednesday Challenge Blog
www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com - come play along

Debbie Mageed said...

Such a great CAS card! Love it! Thank you for playing with us at Alphabet Challenge and hope you come back soon.

Rachelle Oltean said...

Hi Jane! This is a great CAS card! I love the little red double decker bus! Awesomeness! Thanks so much for joining us at the Alphabet Challenge “T” is for Traffic!
Rachelle : ) DT

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

What a wonderful card. I love the way you did the sky, and left the cityscape white and placed the red bus. Just fantastic! Thanks for joining us at Time Out!

Lynn said...

I am so hoping I get to London this summer for a family wedding! Love your card!


Thanks so much for playing with us at Time Out!

Loll said...

You are so funny! The splatters are awesome and yes, I'd say it's a heavy snowstorm! :) LOVE your London skyline and your sweet red double decker! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Linda said...

This is such a fun design. Love the London skyline and the red bus looks so cute. Love the splatters too. Thank you for joining us at CAS Mix Up!