Thursday 28 January 2021

Prancing around the world

 This reindeer just has to be Prancer,  doesn't she, given she's prancing so gracefully? (All Santa's reindeer must be female, even Rudolph, as male reindeer shed their horns in winter). 


The image is a beautiful Gummiapan stamp and I really wish I'd bought the matching die while it was available! I stamped it in dark blue, stamping several times to make the script stand out clearly. The script is in Swedish so the polyglot background goes well with it. 

The background is a Crafters Companion embossing folder with a lovely selection of multi-lingual festive sentiments. I swiped the smooth surface with embossing ink then embossed navy card, sprinkled with white embossing powder and heat embossed. Sounds simple, doesn't it, but this is my third attempt; the first two went in the bin. 

My first attempt used hologram embossing powder AND I forgot to use my anti static pad on the card. It was impossible to see the embossed lettering. Because I knew it would use a lot of powder, I used an old, cheap white embossing powder for my second attempt and the result was patchy and messy - if I'd been going for a distressed look it might have been just about passable. So in the end I used about half a pot of lovely WOW Opaque Bright White and got just the look I was aiming for. 

Although this was made with Let's Squash it and Christmas Kickstart in mind, I  am sharing it with LOTS of challenges, because my Christmas mojo has gone AWOL so I need to make the most of any Christmas card I make! So here goes...

Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - Anything Goes 

Fab 'n' Funky - Christmas 

Scrappymo's - Rudolph Day  

The Male Room - Animals 



Christmas Kickstart - such a deer! 




Fezziwig's Festive Frolics - Anything goes 


Let's Squash It - use an embossing folder and an animal 



Addicted to Stamps and More - Christmas  





16 comments:

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful card. Have a great day. Anesha

cotnob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cotnob said...

A beautiful card Jane, a fabulous reindeer and great background, well worth the effort.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Janis said...

Spectacular effect, Jane! I am so excited to see somebody else doing this because rarely do people get into playing with powders the way I do. I love experimenting around with that double embossing technique, too. I get all sorts of weird effects, but nothing goes in the trash. I just keep adding layer after layer of embossing powder....yes, tons of the old cheap stuff that I need to get rid of but can't just throw away.....and get my "molten" effect where the entire card is covered. Then I highlight the words, etc with a different color...or whatever strikes my fancy. It's all good.
Love this beautiful snow-covered effect on the navy cardstock. So clean and crisp!! I feel your pain of going through half of a tub of Wow! Their white is unparalleled in my opinion and I use a lot of it, too. This technique burns through a bunch of powder, without a doubt, but I adore the finish that embossing powder brings....it is definitely my style of mixed media.
Enough talk....enough talk. Your card is beautiful, Jane. Thank you for sharing and for entering the drawing on my blog!
Stay healthy and creative!
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

cass said...

Wonderful Christmas card. Thanks for joining us at the CHNC Christmas Weekly this week for our "use a Sentiment challenge.

Hazel (Didos) said...

Ah this is super, what a lovely festive make, love the way you have embossed the background, thanks for sharing with me over on Fezziwigs, Hazel xx

Bonnie said...

This is awesome, Jane! I'm glad you persevered!

Dotty Jo said...

Worth all the effort, Jane! Love your card as I am a sucker for navy. Thanks for playing at Christmas Kickstart, Jo x

Dotty Jo said...

Whoops... And at Let's squash It! too, Jo x

cebelica said...

Very nice. xx

Anonymous said...

Oh, she is very graceful and I love the vivid blue! The background looks so dimensional too. Thank you so much for playing along with the first 2021 Rudolph Days Challenge.
Linda DT

scrappymo! said...

All that hard work paid off as this is such a lovely card. The navy blue was a great choice as it pops off the page!

Thanks for taking part in the first Rudolph Days Challenge of this year.

Sari / Granne said...

Well, that's a new idea, Rudolf is a she, LOL. Your card is gorgeous, love all the wishes and beautiful reindeer. Thank you so much for joining us in our Animal challenge at The Male Room. I hope to see you in our new Steampunk challenge.

ionabunny said...

Well worth the effort and the powder. The navy/white is striking and elegant. Thanks for joining the fun at Let's Squash It! and Christmas Kickstart. Hugz

Lady Joyful said...

This is a really lovely Christmas design. Very eye catching. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT

Valentyna Komisarenko said...

Absolutely stunning Christmas card. Thank you for joining us at ATSM. Hope to see you again in the gallery.