Sunday 31 January 2021

The sound of leather on willow

Or in other words, cricket. A sport I love - you probably don't know this but throughout school and University I was a scorer (somebody who keeps the scores, not somebody who goes out on the field and actually hits balls) and occasionally an umpire. So I was very pleased to see there was a lovely silhouette cricketer among the stamps that came with the latest Creative Stamping magazine. 


I masked the card to leave a strip along the bottom and inked it with a green ink from a very old pad. The colour is called Grass Green but I reckon it's grass that hasn't had enough water for a week or two. Next I stamped the image and sentiment, then turned to the stamp set again to pick out a cricket ball stamp - and there wasn't one! There was a golf ball, a rugby ball, tennis, soccer and even a baseball, but no cricket ball. How odd, given there was a cricketer image. So I punched a large hole in a scrap of paper and stencilled red ink through it. I did think about trying to draw in the stitching lines, but you can't see them when the ball is flying through the air, especially if the bowler has used lots of spin, so decided it was safer not to. 

So there you have it - my second one-layer card in two days. I think I may need to go for a lie down. (Don't worry, this afternoon's planned project has lots and lots of layers!). 

Just in case you are unfamiliar with Cricket, I thought you might like to read this: 

  • You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
  • Each man that’s in the side that’s in the field goes out and when he’s out comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
  • When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
  • When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
  • Sometimes there are men still in and not out.
  • There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.
  • Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they’re in or out.
  • When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.

– Attributed (tenuously) to the Marylebone Cricket Club.

Does that make it all clear? 

I am sharing this with 

Cardz 4 Guys - Sports 

AAA - One layer/Silhouettes




6 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Most sports boor me to tears but I could sit and watch Cricket being played for hours!! This is a super CAS card. Hugs Mrs A.

Pamela said...

such a clean and simple sports card, I love it. Thank you for playing with us at C4G

dj said...

I learned something today...thanks for the details about cricket!! A fun educational read this evening!! Your card is perfect for our "sports" challenge over at Cardz 4 Guyz!! We are so glad you joined the fun and played along!!

Jane said...

Perfect! Brilliant take on the theme. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

ÅsaJ said...

Such a great CAS design! Thanks for joining AAA Cards! Hugs Åsa

Nancy said...

A great card! Thanks for playing along with us as AAACards!