Wednesday 20 March 2019

A shaker card at Back to Basics

Earlier this week it was Mark's birthday. As you know, he is crazy about growing chillies, and I try to make chilli themed cards for him as often as possible. And since today's new challenge at Back to Basics is a shaker card, I thought why not a chilli themed one? So here is the card I made for him, and for our challenge.


First of all I stamped the chilli onto the topper card and onto a sheet of fun foam. Then I cut out the inside of the stamped image, lined it up over the stamped image on the foam and drew around the outside onto the foam. Then I cut the foam out a few mm inside  the line I'd drawn, and also cut the whole of the image out from the foam.

Next I did the rest of the stamping on the front of the card and used a red marker pen to fill in white bits and raw edges on the chilli, then backed the opening with acetate.

I stuck the foam onto a slightly smaller sheet of red card, then went on the hunt for shakey bits to add. My original plan had been to use chilli seeds, but all Mark's dozens of varieties of chilli seed are precious to him and he would notice them going missing, and there would be no point me buying a pack of seeds as he already has all the generally available ones so the leftover seeds would be wasted. So instead, I used some dried chilli flakes from the spice rack (and it's made me think - all kinds of spices and seeds would make a great shaker card. Wouldn't one filled with cloves smell wonderful?

Back to the card - I tipped my chilli flakes into the shape left when I stuck the foam to the red card, then carefully lined the front over it and stuck it in place before adding the whole thing to a card blank.

7 comments:

Sherri Thacker said...

WOW! That's so creative to use chili pepper flakes!! Mark will love it!

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

What a fab idea to put real chilli flakes into your chilli shaker! I hope Mark had a great birthday and I'm sure he loved his card x

Dotty Jo said...

How clever! Great card... may have to CASE it for Andy! Jo x

Dawn Phillips said...

Fabulous and original idea. I love it. Love Dawn x

meg said...

fun card Jane

Catie Cuddles said...

Love this.. so clever!
Catherine x

Lucille K said...

Your card is so creative, Jane. Just love it :)