Sunday 1 March 2020

Anything but a card at Sparkles Christmas

While we are mainly a card challenge at Sparkles Christmas, we do accept any other Christmas craft and for this month's challenge we really want to see what other things you make, with our "Anything but a card" challenge.


I decided to make a plaque out of an MDF placemat. I've had the mat for about 20 years: I bought it when I decided to take up painting, but having bought all the kit I realised I was never going to turn into Bob Ross (maybe it's because I forgot to order a squirrel?) and the mat's been glowering at me from among my stash ever since, trying to will me into using it for something.

First I applied a coat of white gesso, then I sponged a pale blue blending ink all over it and a darker blue dye ink around the edges. Once the inks were dry (it takes a lot longer than on paper) I stamped snowflakes randomly all over it and again left it to dry. Then I dusted the whole thing with an anti static bag and stamped and heat embossed the random swirls with Versamark ink and silver embossing powder. I attached pearl braid around the edge and then finished it with a stamped and die cut sentiment and die cut poinsettia flowers. I got around the "glitter card is a barsteward to stick"  issue by holding the flowers together with gem-headed brads.

Well, that was a total stash buster and is going to look great on my mantelpiece next Christmas!

I am sharing this with

Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - Anything goes/ Vintage/shabby chic 

A Bit More Time To Craft Extra   (welcome back!!!) - Anything goes

3 comments:

Sue - said...

That is really pretty Jane, you’re right it will look great!

Crafting Queen said...

Lovely altered mat. Really like the background you created.

Carol said...

Great idea and brilliant use of your stash - looks beautiful !! xx