Wednesday 15 April 2020

Getting hold of food during lockdown #2

Last week I posted about the Morrisons food box I bought because we have been struggling to get hold of food recently. I was very pleased with it, but for keen cooks like us, and lovers of fruit and veg, it was rather unambitious, so I decided to try another box from somewhere new to me, KBK, that a friend had mentioned to me.

At £60 including delivery, this is almost twice the price of the Morrisons box - but  works out to be even better value and a perfect box for keen cooks. My only reservation is that although you are given a predicted delivery date, you can't choose a date and with carriers being rather overstretched at the moment you can't be sure to within a couple of days when it will actually arrive. If, like us, you can't go out to top up supplies it can make meal planning rather difficult.

Now a look at what we got - so much that it wouldn't all fit on one photo.



We received:

4 pints of semi skimmed milk
a large sliced loaf
1 tin each of baked beans, chopped tomatoes and sweetcorn
A pack of Chinese noodles (coincidentally my favourite brand that we usually get from the Chinese cash & carry, but going there isn't an option for us right now)
1 bag of pasta
2 bags of rice
1 pack chicken thighs (4)
1 pack chicken breasts (4)
1 pack beefburgers (4)
1 pack sausages (4)
1 pack minced beef (450g)
2 packs back bacon (it looks like 2 slices in each, but I've not opened them yet)
2 massive potatoes - each one plenty for a meal for two
one onion - the biggest onion I have ever seen, weighing in at around 850g (yes, almost 2lb!)
a bag of baby leaf spinach
mushrooms
carrots
broccoli
tomatoes
one leek
one courgette
one large aubergine
2 avocados
a head of broccoli
an Iceberg lettuce
a cucumber
4 apples
4 easy peelers
4 pears
4 large chillies
a head of garlic

They say that contents will vary but the balance of meat, fruit, veg and basics will stay the same.  There is no butter, cheese or eggs included but it's definitely more suited to our way of life than the Morrisons box. Our fridge is now crammed to the gills with lovely stuff and we're both bursting with ideas for things to cook.

I do wish these boxes included other staples though, like a small bottle of cooking oil and some tea or coffee, but despite that I think they are a great service to us at a difficult time.



2 comments:

Cheryl Pasquier said...

Ooh that's a great selection. I totally agree with you - it's a shame the other box didn't have fruit in it. As you say, this one has loads of options for cooking, so have fun with it ! :)

Mrs A. said...

I'm expecting great recipe ideas from you. Looks a good selection of produce. Hugs Mrs A.