Tuesday 7 April 2020

Getting hold of food during lockdown

At the start of the lockdown, I promised myself I would get back into the habit of posting more recipes again to help those of us who are trying to use up odds and ends from the fridge, freezer and store cupboard. Then I ran into a problem - getting hold of fresh food has become practically impossible for us! Although we are not in the shielding group, Mark and I both have health conditions that mean if we caught coronavirus it could lead to complications, so we are trying to avoid the shops. The trouble with that is the alternative is shopping online. Or attempting to!

First I tried Ocado, where we are  fairly regular customers, but not regular enough, apparently, to even get access to the site! Next, Morrisons, which is our nearest supermarket and a pick-and-pack store for their delivery service. But our postcode means we are not in the delivery area, and they don't do click and collect. Waitrose and Sainsburys aren't accepting new customers right now and neither Asda nor Tesco have any delivery or click and collect slots available in our area for as long ahead as they can be booked.

Then somebody told us about the Morrisons basic food box scheme. I went to the special website https://www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/  where I could order a box for two people for £30 plus £5 delivery charge. It comes by carrier, so you don't have to be in a Morrisons delivery area, and in a meat eaters or vegetarian version. Our first box was delivered yesterday and here is what it contained:


Toilet roll (!)
Kitchen roll
sliced white bread
1 litre semi skimmed milk
bag of pasta
bag of microwave rice
tins: baked beans, tomato soup, vegetable soup
Potatoes
onions
carrots
small white cabbage
a cucumber
pasta sauce
cheddar cheese
butter
bacon
sausages
minced beef
chicken breasts
cooked ham

I was sad to find that there was no fruit in the box at all,  and I would have liked more veg, some salad and a small bottle of sunflower oil,  but since the box was only £30 I can't really complain. I'd have loved some eggs too but I suppose the fragility makes them impossible to send by carrier.

Today we are going to have bacon butties for lunch and chilli con carne (I have plenty tins of tomatoes and kidney beans at the moment) with rice plus salad from the garden for dinner. Tomorrow we will probably mix together the two tins of soup for lunch and have chicken satay using some of the chicken, with gado-gado using the cabbage, carrots and cucumber plus a handful of green beans that were left in the fridge. I've not planned the rest of the week yet but there will be a sausage casserole and a pasta bake in there somewhere!

Although the boxes are supposed to be random, I'm sure the  weekly contents will be very similar so next week I'm planning to get a box from elsewhere - it's twice the price but promises to contain lots of fruit, veg and salad as well as some higher-welfare meat. I'll report back on the contents of that too.

I hope this, and the progress reports I plan to post over the coming days and weeks are helpful to others who are struggling to get hold of food.

Now I'm off to see if wine delivery companies are still operating!

Stay safe, friends.

8 comments:

Kathyk said...

Thanks for sharing your findings Jane

Stay well

Kathyk

Cheryl Pasquier said...

Glad you managed to get hold of some food. What a nightmare ! And I agree with you about the lack of fruit. Good luck with next week's delivery :)

Barbara Godden said...

I find this interesting, I can see the lack of fruit and here in Ontario Canada we are limited to one dozen eggs at the store and the milk I buy was not on the shelf. I couldn't believe there was no dawn dishwashing soap at two stores I went to. So this would be a week's supply? Stay in stay safe.

Margarets designer cards said...

Thanks for sharing your information,
We are in the same boat, our grand daughter who lives in Trowbridge a half an hour drive away offered to do some shopping bless her, then two neighbors offered to get anything, As we are in the stay at home for three months group, my husband being over 70 and we bot have underlying illness, we were before this very worried. Our grand daughter is doing well I do get some strange bits at times, like the pate that turned into chicken paste. We are blessed with one neighbour who added bits onto her order and then we found a little shop in the village three miles away doing delivery's. But as for Sainsburys they tell me I dont qualify for delivery as I am not disabled, I have news for them I have a blue badge. Tesco who I am registered with I cant get a slot at all, Life seems to get harder these days, hopefully if the stupid people stay home the virus might go away quickly Stay and well

scrappymo! said...

It was interesting to see what they included. I agree that I would personally like more veg and fruit.

Perhaps you could find a farm with a home store. Sometimes they do fruit and veg baskets you have to sign up for.

SH goes out foraging in the stores but as he has Diabetes he really should not go out at all. He wears gloves and homemade mask and leaves shoes outside, showers anbd washes his clothes soon as he comes home. IT is still a worry though.

We have a lovely whole foods type market about three blocks away. They will deliver in the neighbourhood and have lovely fruit and veg. as well as a deli and fresh meatmarket. They are heavy into organics so that can make the purchases pricey, but very tasy I must say. I have not tried them as of yet as I just found out that they are offering deliveries.

Pamela said...

I realise that I've been extremely lucky. I don't drive and supermarkets are a short bus ride away - not something I want to do at the moment. I'd done a large home delivery the day before I started to feel ill ('possibly' a very mild case of CV19 but will never know). I didn't use a lot of the food while ill and once I was better neighbours bought me a couple of things I was low on. I have a delivery pass with Sainsbury's and once they'd organised prioritising slots for the elderly/vulnerable, delivery pass customers were next in line so I managed to get one and everything was delivered that I'd ordered. I've frozen bread and milk in small quantities and I have plenty of chocolate to keep me going! I rarely cook a meal from scratch but I know you enjoy it so I hope you manage to find supplies - hugs.

Carol said...

Thanks for the info, Jane. I am probably one of the lucky (if lazy) ones as I have been a Sainsbury's online shopper for years and of course, have a delivery pass. Even though I am registered on the Government site as vulnerable I still have to search for a slot but I have managed so far.
I have passed on these box details to my son as he has been unable to get a slot even though he is registered.
Carol
xx

Mrs A. said...

Golly gosh, straight off to see about this. Have had a nightmare getting a food delivery slot even with having The Doc in a vulnerable category. Thanks for the info.hugs Mrs A.