Wednesday 11 February 2015

Pastitsio #RecipeClippings

When I first started clipping recipes from magazines, I used to carefully cut each one out and stick them into those photo albums that had plastic page covers - ideal to use in the kitchen as they are wipe-clean. Eventually the clipping mountain got too tall and the albums were no longer available, but I have about 10 of them and some of them get more use than many of my "real" recipe books. But among the much-loved and oft-revisited recipes there are still quite a few "must get around to trying this" ones, and Pastitsio was, until last night, one of them.

I'm not sure where the clipping came from, but the font looks like that of Good Housekeeping at about the time this album was being put together, probably 10-15 years ago.


The dish is a deeply savoury minced lamb dish, flavoured with thyme, oregano, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and nutmeg and cooked in a tomato, onion and white wine sauce. Cooked macaroni is stirred into the sauce


then it is topped with a cheese sauce that has two eggs beaten into it


and baked in the oven until the savoury custard topping is set and browned.


Our verdict - we thoroughly enjoyed it, but its main function was to remind us how long it is since we'd had the South African dish  Bobotie, also a lamb dish topped with a savoury custard, but with hotter spices and the addition of dried fruit.

Why not give it a try - it makes a great change from Lasagne!

I'm joining in with #RecipeClippings at Farmersgirl Kitchen





2 comments:

Claire Toplis said...

savoury custard what a revolution , this I must try

Janice said...

Definitely a GH recipe. I recognise the style and typeface as I have some clipped from that time too. What a good, hearty and filling dish, perfect comfort food, thanks for joining me for #RecipeClippings.