Wednesday 25 February 2015

Snowflake butterflies

Recently I've been getting a lot of crafting ideas from looking at things I've made or used in the past and then thinking "What if.....?"

This time, I looked at some die cut snowflakes and thought "What if I cut some of the points out - would it look like a butterfly?". I was prompted to think about butterflies and snowflakes by a stamp that was in a little bag of freebies in my last Crafty Individuals order, saying "A snowflake is a Winter's butterfly"

So, I die cut some butterflies and started snipping. I can't say they really looked convincing, especially as they didn't show up against the backing paper I had chosen, so I die cut some plain butterflies and added the snowflakes as wings on top. Finished with some liquid pearls, I think they've worked quite well.


You'll have to take my word for the fact that the background paper is more of a blue-turquoise than green! Blue really IS the hardest colour to photograph. Now I understand what my Dad meant all those years ago when I pestered him to take photos of fields of bluebells!

I'm sharing this card with:

Rudolph Day at Scrappymo's
ATG with a twist - No red or green (It isn't green, really it isn't!) at Completely Christmas
Anything Goes at Christmas card Challenges
Holiday at Addicted to Stamps and More
Christmas - Let's see Some Snowflakes at Fab'nFunky

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

Love all the snowflakes and the wonderful sentiment!

scrappymo! said...

Great sentiment and beautiful greens and blues here!

Thanks you for taking part in the February Rudolph Days Challenge. Good luckl

Inkyfingers said...

Great card with such a sweet sentiment and I love your creative butterflies!

Thanks for sharing at Christmas Card Challenges and I hope to see you again soon.
Hugs
Carol x

Kathleen said...

Rather difficult for me because of the butterflies but what a fabulous idea to put snowflakes on the wings, great backing paper and lovely colours.

Kath x

Shona Chambers said...

What a beautiful thing to say about snowflakes being winter's butterflies, I think that's the sweetest thing I've heard for a long time! And what a great crafty mind you have to look at snowflakes and wonder 'what if?'. Your card is stunning and love the colours you used too. So very glad you shared this with us at ATSM this week!

Shirley-Anne said...

Lovely sentiment set on a pretty card . Thanks for sharing on Christmas Card Challenges

Barb Ghig said...

I love all the pretty snowflakes and how you placed your butterflies...such a lovely card! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

Pat K said...

Beautiful card. Love what you've done with the butterflies...so, so pretty.
Thanks for playing along with us at Fab'n'Funky this week. Pat K x

MaryH said...

Not only a clever idea to use your snowflakes to make butterfly wings, but what a pretty look you achieved by adding the solid butterfly underneath the lacy cutout one of the snowflake. Looks awesome against the pretty background paper too. Thanks for playing in Rudy Day #2. Happy wkend.

Justine Hovey said...

I love the background paper :) Thanks for playing along at Christmas Card Challenges!

The Little Stamper said...

A gorgeous card, and I love the imaginative way you have used parts of the snowflakes to make the detail on the butterflies.

Thanks for sharing at Fab n Funky this week.

Sharon x

Unknown said...

Beautiful representation of this fun sentiment :) Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us this week at Addicted to Stamps and More! We would love for you to play along again soon.