Saturday 11 April 2015

Black and Green

Oh goodness, that takes me back! Right back to the late 1950s in fact, when I was just a tot and we got a television that actually had TWO channels rather than one! I don't remember the launch of ITV, as I was only 6 weeks old when it happened, but it was then several years before my parents bought a TV capable of receiving it. And the thing that excited me most was seeing adverts!  I was just at the age when repetitive jingles appealed, so most of my pre-school singing was devoted to advertising jingles. It must have driven my parents crazy! One that I half-remember ended with the words "Black and greens, the family tea" and that's what sprang to mind when I started to write this post. OK, so I'm rambling, the card has nothing to do with tea, TV or advertising - but it IS black and green!

To make the leaf  panel, I used a Cosmic Shimmer Ultra Thick embossing powder in Lapis Black (I've had it several years, I don't know whether it's still available). I'm not sure why it has that name - Lapis is blue, isn't it? And this is neither black nor blue, it's a gorgeous metallic green.

I used very thick card (actually cut from the backing card of a paper stack) for the embossing, inked it with a green metallic Encore pad and then did two layers of embossing, pressing the inked leaf stamp into the molten embossing powder and allowing it to cool.

The sentiment was a pre-printed one that I think was a magazine freebie once upon a time.

TIP - if you are sending an UTEE card through the post, protect the embossed panel with bubble wrap ad it has a tendency to crack.

Incidentally, can you all see the two images clearly? My husband is looking at this post on his laptop and for him the upper image is split and truncated, yet on my computer and on my iPad both images are perfectly clear. It's odd as he uses the same version of Internet Explorer as I do. If anyone is having the same problem, or has experienced it before and knows what's causing it, can you let me know please so we can try to fix it?






I'm sharing this with
The Male Room - Use a metallic Embossing Powder
Addicted to Stamps and More - CAS 

7 comments:

Rocky said...

LOVE IT!! My favourite technique with one of my favourite powders too! Simple and very effective, a great man card. Thank you for joining us at TMR.

Sue - said...

Great card - love that embossing! Photo looks perfect to me , certainly not truncated.

Shona Chambers said...

Wow, this is so cool!! Have never seen this done before and the effect is really spectacular. And it looks even better surrounded by all that crisp white CS. So happy to see you again at ATSM!!

Liz said...

A beautiful card. I love the design and I can see the images perfectly on my iPad. xx

Barb Ghig said...

Your leaf is absolutely gorgeous, Jane! I love how you designed this card, too! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

Kylie said...

What an amazing panel. Great tecnique!! Thanks so much for playing along at ATSM xx

Deborah Frings said...

Stunning - I think the leaf panel is just fabulous. I really like this clean, simple card - great work. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room!